Style > Decor

My 4 Most Complimented Fragrances

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

In the past few years, I have tried a number of different fragrances in an effort to find my signature scent, one that I continue to buy and wear everyday. I have yet to find one, but have enjoyed this period of experimentation as finding your signature scent should not be a decision made quickly. I want to explore all my options before I settle on one. I feel that the fragrance you wear is a direct reflection of the person you are and should evolve with you. Whether it changes based on the season or your lifestyle. I have a couple candidates for my signature scent on my favorites list so far. 

When I get a perfume, I judge it based on three factors: If I am drawn by the scent, how long it lasts, and if others notice it. One of my favorite compliments is when people say, “You smell good,” often followed by, “What perfume are you wearing?” This interaction is so critical as it affirms that the scent you picked has induced a positive reaction from those around you and gives you the opportunity to share it. You know you are doing something right when your fragrance is getting noticed. Smelling good is not only part of having good hygiene but can be a way people remember you. When people interact, all five senses are triggered. They will notice how you look and smell, and this leaves them with an impression of you. Here are my four most complimented fragrances:

1. Paradoxe Eau De Parfum- Prada 

I owned a few sample size versions of this fragrance after receiving it through Her Campus at MSU’s partnership. I immediately fell in love with the perfume as the smell is so captivating, and after discovering that it lasted for hours I was hooked. So hooked that a full size bottle of this perfume is on my Christmas list. The scent has an undeniable potency of a floral amber scent with a woody infection. A concoction of jasmine flowers and amber accord is present. I received several compliments on this perfume, some from people who have tried it or others who have never heard of it. When I first wore it, I was afraid it was too strong but I soon realized it’s perfect in intensity and delicacy. 

1. Flowerbomb Eau De Parfum- Viktor & Rolf 

I was gifted this fragrance from my cousin and was blown away at how the scent is so floral without being too much. Usually I like a perfume that has less of a floral smell and more warmth but this one balances a completely floral scent. It explodes with hints of jasmine and rosebuds accented by a vanilla and peony base. It is marketed to radiate thousands of flowers which is achieved. It is a very feminine scent and I feel empowered when I wear it. I have a lotion version of the scent as well that I sometimes pair with the perfume for a longer lasting effect. The scent does last but not nearly as long as the Paradoxe perfume.

1. Light Blue Forever Eau De Parfum- Dolce & Gabbana 

I received a travel size version of this fragrance from my mom and was impressed with how strong the scent was. For how light it is, it lasts and has a very clean appeal. A version of the fragrance is made for men and women. It has more of a fruity accent that makes it smell refreshing. It has scents of olivier crisp, lemon, blood orange and green apple. The fruity smell is toned down by scents of musk and cedar. The men’s version of the fragrance is similar but has a more woodsy appeal. I am definitely considering buying this perfume in full size as a transition fragrance for seasons. It’s such a simple scent that can be worn anytime. 

1. Sol Cheirosa ‘62 Eau De Parfum- Sol De Janeiro

I discovered this fragrance through social media, and when buying it at Sephora I wasn’t sure what to expect. Needless to say all the hype was right as the scent was groundbreaking. It is such a warm smell and transports you right on a summer vacation. It is a cheerful scent accented by soft florals and creamy sandalwood. Pistachio notes are included making it a rich long-lasting scent. It’s very inviting and radiates notes of vanilla and salted caramel. You basically smell like a sweet dessert but in a good way. Not in a way that is too overpowering. You can buy it in body spray and lotion from which I like to pair with the perfume. I often spay it in my hair for more effect or put some lotion on my chest. 

I would invest in a full size bottle of each of these fragrances more than once. They each are so unique in their own way and are long lasting. Guaranteed to help you make an impression and get you plenty of compliments. Each scent is ‘Eau De Parfum’ which translates to ‘perfume water’ meaning the fragrance contains a more concentrated amount of oils. It has a strong concentrate of accents and smells creating longer lasting effects. If you’re interested in stepping up your perfume game and trying something new, definitely give one of these perfumes a try. I recommend buying a travel size first. Then, if you like it, purchase a full size bottle!

Sabrina Seldon is the Editor-in-chief of Her Campus at MSU. She edits articles, approves pitches and oversees the editing team. Seldon is a junior at Michigan State University majoring in Journalism with minors in Broadcast, Public Relations and Graphic Design. On top of her involvement with Her Campus, she is the Art Director of VIM Magazine at MSU. Seldon was Editor-in-chief of her high school's award-winning yearbook and has articles published through the Spartan Newsroom. Seldon enjoys listening to music, traveling and designing graphics in her free time.