This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

There I am—walking in the perfect atmosphere between the blazing summer and chilling winter. The first morning light hits my face as I wander through the clean, huge lanes filled with colorful leaves. I can feel the fall atmosphere setting in—trees changing colors, shedding all their leaves. I see a bunch of students crossing my way, walking around with their coffee cups and wearing spartan shirts in green and white. Looking at them, I shout compulsively “go green,” and there they are, shouting back,“go white,” with happy smiles. I keep strolling for a long time, not knowing where I am actually headed. That’s when I hear the soothing sound of the Red Cedar River flowing like some speedy, silent air currents. I close my eyes to feel the sound of it in my ears, and open them only to witness the colorful nature that surrounds me. “Oh, what a true beauty!” I gasp. A bundle of emotions rushes through me, but amongst them, there’s an emotion that dominates all the others—an immense sense of school pride associated with being a Spartan. After some peaceful moments, I hear an extremely loud and irritating sound. While figuring what it really is, I open my eyes to the buzzing of my morning alarm. I wake up, disappointed, only to realise that I was dreaming all along!

I remember the first time I learned about my admission to Michigan State University. It was a regular Wednesday. I was having my lunch when I heard a “ding” notification sound from my phone. It was one of the happiest moments in my life. I was so overwhelmed with joy. I wanted to get into MSU and it was like a dream coming true. I had googled all about the university and I knew for sure that this is where I wanted myself for the next four years of my life. Soon after, I started all the preparations. But it wasn’t long until the COVID-19 pandemic changed everything. It felt like it took away every moment of joy that I felt that day. With everything that was going on, I knew there was no way I would be able to travel to the US. And that just pushed me over the edge! I had dreamt about being a Spartan a million times! I had designed my own little MSU in my imaginations over and over again. And just the thought of not being able to experience it all was literally depressing. But after a few months, things changed once again! Once the online classes started, all of my excitement came rushing back. Going through it, I met people, made friends and got to know more about the university. 

I now know that soon I’ll be one of those 50,000 students sitting together in the Spartan Stadium, cheering on the team. I’ll explore the whole campus this spring semester, I’ll gaze at the campus beauty the winter will bring, I’ll watch all the plants bloom in the summer and I’ll live through the fall feelings I felt in my dream. Amongst this diverse community, I’ll meet people from all over the globe, having nothing in common but the Spartan spirit. I’ll study at the banks of the Red Cedar and hear the marching band practice. I’ll enjoy the funny moments while screaming at the top of my lungs during the midnight screams just before finals. I’ll cherish the delicious food in the cafeteria every moment I’m on the campus. I’ll participate in MSU’s traditions and events. I’ll paint the rock. I’ll stay up to be entertained by the nightlife MSU gives. I’ll join clubs, where there’s something for everyone! I’ll sit through the loud football games—and ah, the list is never-ending! But I know that one day it’ll all become a part of my Spartan life. Hearing the roar from the stadium a mile away when we get a touchdown would be normal. When tailgating brings all the students together in one collected effort, it’ll be normal. The smell of the beer and grill in the air would be normal. Listening to the sound of bells from Beaumont tower would be normal. Singing the fight song together would be normal. Green and white all over the campus would be normal. I can’t wait for my “normal” to begin, because I know it’ll be a hundred times better than I dreamt of!

Hello Readers! I'm Prapti and I'm a Psychology major with a passion for writing. I'm currently a Freshman at Michigan State University. I'm from Gujarat, India. My favorite pastimes include reading, playing music, painting and hiking. Check out my other articles on mypsych.in and feel free to follow me on Instagram!
MSU Contributor Account: for chapter members to share their articles under the chapter name instead of their own.