“Mother!” A disturbing, yet important film to watch

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

The psychological horror film “Mother!” directed by Darren Aronofsky hit the box offices in 2017, but is recently re-gaining popularity due to the film starring Jennifer Lawrence. This was Lawrence’s most unique film and considered one of her best performances. However, in many interviews, Lawrence states that she would never do this again, that she pushed herself too far, and that she tore her diaphragm in the making of the film. 

The film takes place in a house that is slowly withering away due to unwanted guests tearing it apart. Lawrence’s character, Mother, along with the house, represents mother earth, and the guests and damage represent climate change. 

“I wanted to make a film about mother nature, I wanted to make a film from her perspective,” Director Darren Aronofsky said in a 2018 Variety Studios interview. 

Many people picked up on other themes that are presented in the movie, such as relationships, religion, and fame. 

“It’s a movie that can be read on a million different levels,” said Lawrence in the same interview. 

After watching these interviews, I had to see the movie for myself, and this film is something that you can’t unsee. 

Without giving too much away, I will say that this film is not suitable for all viewers. With that being said, it is executed beautifully with very intentional cinematography and little to no dialogue, allowing the viewer to feel the emotions of the main character on a whole new level. 

This film should be watched with the intention to empathize with mother earth. There are parts of this film that are very uncomfortable and disturbing, and while I think most of these scenes are very necessary for the message of the film, I do argue that one scene in particular may have gone overboard. 

Personally, I think that this is a very important film to watch. It gets the audience thinking deeper about the endless themes in the film and does an excellent job of connecting the characters’ emotions to the audience. It is one of the most captivating films that I have watched.

I highly recommend this film if you are a fan of psychological horror and thrillers, but I recommend watching it with caution if you struggle watching films containing violence.

Emma George-Griffin has been a staff writer for the Michigan State University Chapter of Her Campus since fall of 2022. George-Griffin is Senior at Michigan State University Studying Journalism with a concentration in writing, reporting and editing, and a minor in Documentary Production. She plans on earning her bachelor degree from Michigan State University in the spring of 2025, and plans to earn her Masters degree from the University in the winter of 2026. When she isn't working or in class, George-Griffin enjoys spending time in nature, reading Tarot, and painting.