Miguel Martinez-Valle ’15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Meet Miguel Martinez-Valle, broadcast journalism major and former intern for Univsion Communications

Year: Senior  

Hometown: I was born in Guaymas, Sonora Mexico and raised South Lyon, Michigan 

What activities are you involved in? I am a News Team Member and host of Open Mic Night for Impact WDBM, an Actor in Sideshow for Telecasters and a Reporter at HOMTV 

What Do You Do? I started Impact because someone came in to speak in one of my classes. I started as a member of the News Team where I prepared feature for Exposure and news stories for the Thursday and Friday news. This year because of my busy schedule I can only really help out by hosting Open Mic Night at the Union. 

Describe your experience working for Univision Communications: Univision was a dream. Growing up in a Spanish-speaking household that was really the channel we got our news from. I was able to move to New York City for the summer and help out in events reporting. I attended events such as the JLO concert, Daddy Yankee, and the Floyd Mayweather media day in midtown. It was great getting to know the company and see how big the hispanic/latino influence is here in the United States. 

Why did you choose MSU? I wanted some place that was close to home but not too close. MSU was the perfect spot, the campus is beautiful, the students are awesome, and the experience you gain here is sooo beneficial. Looking back, this really was the perfect place for me. 

Favorite pastimes? I love Buzzfeed, hanging out with my roommates, eating, and traveling. I would do the last one a lot more often if I had a bit more money but it really is a passion of mine. 

Favorite TV Show: Game of Thrones followed by American Horror Story, The Newsroom, and Modern Family. 

Dream Job: I want to have my own show like “This is Life” by Lisa Ling. I think in depth reporting is so much fun especially when its about taboo or odd subjects people don’t really know about. 

Ideal Date: hmm this is a tough one, honestly its all about the company for me. As long as the conversation is good and the attraction is there any date could be perfect.

Name one thing on your Spartan Bucket List: Well I haven’t kissed anyone in front of the Beaumont Tower so if anyone is interested let me know… haha. Other than that, I really want to go to the planetarium. 
Hi Collegiettes!I'm Amber Taylor, Campus Correspondent at Michigan State University!I will graduate from MSU this May with a degree in journalism and a specialization in design. I am a native Chicagoan who loves shopping for anything from shoes, to midi rings to plates from Crate & Barrel. In my spare time, I enjoy live music and observing contemporary art. SO excited to get MSU more involved with HerCampus this year!Feel free to reach out to me! -HCXOAmber