This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Name: Melissa Karas

Major: Chemical Engineering

Year: Freshman

Hometown: Shelby Township, Michigan

Melissa is a member of the MSU Elite Competitive Dance Team. They practice and compete throughout the entire school year. They are a student-run and self-funded team. Tryouts usually begin in the fall of each year, for those interested in becoming a part of the team.

How long have you been dancing? I’ve been dancing since I was two.

How many years have you been on a competitive dance team? I started competing in second grade and then started competing nationally in fifth grade.

Why did you decide to join the team at MSU? I had friends that were on it in previous years, and I saw the booth at Sparticipation.

What kinds of events does your team participate in? We participate in events around campus. We have a showcase in the spring, and we will be going to Nationals in Daytona Beach, Florida in April.

How were you in involved in this year’s Silver Bells? We had a group routine that was choreographed to Christmas music. We performed inside of the Lansing Community Center, and we also had smaller group dances and solos.

What’s your favorite part about being on the team? That I get to continue to dance in college!

Which styles of dances does the team do? We mainly do jazz, lyrical and contemporary.

Which style is your favorite? My favorite would be lyrical because you can tell a story through your dancing.

Benefits of joining the team? Here at college, it’s a whole new team. We all have become new friends, and it’s a great way to meet people who share common interests with you!

A Freshman at Michigan State University. Enjoys 90's movies, rock alternative music, and reading books of all kinds. Apart of Gamma Phi Beta Sorority and studies Journalism. Can be found running around campus, eating heaps of food at the Caf, or cheering my Spartans on at Spartan Football Stadium!
Feminist | Editor | Lesbian