The Mane Issue at Hand: Spring 2012 Hair Trends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Spring is upon us collegiette’s, and with the change in season comes the inevitable change in style.  There’s nothing more refreshing than removing the saran wrap from your windows and trimming away your split ends after a rough winter.  With spring collections and colors alike heading from runways to the racks, it’s time to tackle the mane issue at hand, hair

Whether you’re going bold or keeping a classic look this spring, the warm weather is the perfect opportunity to play around with creative colors and shapes.  A trend that never goes out of style for the gal on the go is the classic pony.  While it’s easy enough to pull your hair back and get out the door, give yourself a few extra minutes in the morning to add a little spice to your style.  Try a few simple tricks like pulling your hair over your ears or tucking your pony into the back of your shirt for a trendy spring look.  A common theme on the runway this season is the slicked back pony tail, this look is the best of both worlds, both edgy and chic.  A DIY trend to try is a simple around the base look.  After you’ve secured your pony tail with an elastic band, section off a piece of hair from under the pony and wrap it around the base and you’ll have a classic look in no time.

Another popular trend that we’re loving this season: braids.  Whether you’re doing a full side braid or multiple braids, you simply can’t go wrong.  Some styles may prove to be a little more difficult than others but practice makes perfect.

A debatable topic in hair talk that pops up every season is to dye or not to dye.  It’s not uncommon to go for a dark look in the fall and switch to light in the spring but don’t be afraid to play around with new colors this season.  As for style, whether you’re sporting a shorter look or chest length, the options are endless.  If you have a shorter style like a pixie cut, add a feminine touch by throwing in some bobby pins and twists at the side, you can never go wrong with a good hair accessory.  The options seem endless for long hair but if you’re in a rush, a quick bun can make for a cute look.  There’s a way to pull off buns without looking lazy, piecey buns look great when paired with a headband.   

Spring is the perfect time of year to experiment with new looks.  Take advantage of this opportunity and style away!

Lauren is a fifth year senior at Michigan State University pursuing a bachelor’s degree in Journalism with a specialization in Editorial Reporting which she will graduate with in the summer of 2012. She previously graduated in May 2011 with a bachelor’s of arts degree in Apparel and Textile Design. Last summer she interned at 944 magazine which helped to strengthen her love for journalism. Lauren loves planning events such as the MSU Annual Undergraduate Fashion Exhibit last year where she had some of her designs and clothing featured. She loves sewing in her spare time and creating beautiful clothes for herself, friends and family. Lauren also enjoys entering her designs into fashion shows such as the Annual Apparel and Textile Design Fashion Show last spring on campus where one of her dresses was a finalist for the judges choice award. She loves any kinds of sweets, cooking, crazy nail polish colors, Italian and Mexican food, shopping for shoes, MSU football games and watching The Devil Wears Prada over and over. Lauren is so excited to be a part of the Her Campus team and is very eager to begin the Her Campus branch at Michigan State!