This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

You took the campus tour, you found the football stadium, and you have a favorite study spot on campus. But have you ventured off campus and into your college town? Here are a few ideas on how to get started on making the most of your college town.

Shop Small

Every college town is bound to have a Starbucks, a Taco Bell, a Panera, and other chain restaurants. I encourage you to look for the mom & pop restaurant on the main strip, owned by a couple who met when they were studying at your university, or the college student-owned coffee shop that stays open later than Starbucks for late-night study sessions. If you’re on a budget in college and don’t want to eat out every night, I suggest splitting your food budget into small dining (local businesses) and large dining (chain restaurants) and trying to put a bit more into small dining rather than large dining.

Another option: Many college students are becoming entrepreneurs and small business owners (just look at Emma McGowin, a sophomore at the University of Alabama who created a thriving business in her boutique, where she specializes in sorority and Roll Tide merch). Many people are upcycling thrift store finds to tailgate-ready pieces or creating their own merch and designs to wear around campus. All you need to do is look on Instagram accounts (or even your university’s Her Campus page) and you’re sure to find pieces that you’ll love – and feel good about buying since you’re shopping small.

Volunteer

Volunteering is a fantastic way to give back to the community you go to school in! There are often already student organizations that specialize in one form of volunteering or another, like neighborhood clean-up or visiting senior living centers. Join one of these organizations, or a quick google search will help you find groups that would love your help to volunteer.

In addition, if your university has Greek life, keep an eye on their Instagram accounts and their members’ accounts for philanthropy events. Each chapter of the Panhellenic Council and Interfraternal Council has a philanthropy in that they raise money every year. A lot of the time, these events are done through team activities, like a field day or a volleyball tournament. Another option is food fundraisers, where a chapter partners with a restaurant or shop (re: shopping small!), and for a set time, a percentage of all purchases will go to that chapter’s philanthropic organization.  

Public Transportation System

Make use of your campus’ public transportation system, whether that be a bus or metro. More often than not, the system will take you beyond just your campus is a great way to see more of your community and travel a bit further. If your campus is close to a big city, consider taking a weekend trip into town with some friends! Checking event websites every once in a while will keep you updated with city happenings, like Broadway shows or Immersive Experiences.  

State’s Natural Beauty and Bounty

Every state has a natural beauty to it if you have the will to find it. You can check out  https://stateparks.com to find state and national parks in your area, and take some time to enjoy nature. You don’t need to buy out the nearest REI store to enjoy a mountain range or take a hike on the beach, but do make sure to do some research before you head out unprepared.

If nature isn’t your thing, consider enjoying the bounty of nature by finding a local farmer’s market! Bringing us full circle back to our first point about shopping small, farmers markets are great for getting to know the locals and the community, enjoying seasonal delicacies (pumpkin pies in the fall, lemon cakes in the spring), and getting variety in your diet that dining halls might not always provide. Having face-to-face conversations with the creators of these delights makes the purchase more personal. If you’re an out-of-state student, consider swinging by your local farmer’s market to pick up gifts to take home for thanksgiving, winter, or summer break. 

Whatever you end up doing, remember: you’re only in this town for 3-5 years, and while that seems like a long, long time, it will speed by faster than you could ever imagine. Take a moment every day to appreciate the environment you’re living in and create memories that will last a lifetime.

Junior from San Diego CA, studying international relations at Michigan State University! Also a sister of the Gamma Phi Beta sorority and a Starbucks barista.