Makeup Makeover!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

If you’re like me, then you’re clueless as to how to put your eyeliner perfectly in place or make your eye shadow look more like a movie star than a raccoon. I always have so many questions, one of the main ones being, which type of eyeliner is better: liquid or pencil? Or which brands won’t irritate my skin. I just learned what foundation was used for last week—yes, I’m that inept. For me, the first step to improving my makeup’s appearance is to revamp my cosmetic bag. After sampling different products and surveying a variety of different girls, I’ve found these products that are perfect must-haves for every collegiette’s makeup bag.

My favorite mascara of all time is Trish McEvoy’s High Volume Mascara in Jet Black. It’s a great one to use for making your eyelashes longer and fuller.
 Its water-resistant formula keeps it from running as well as makes it effortless to wash off. You can buy this mascara for $30.00 from Trish McEvoy’s website, department stores, or Sephora.

Liquid eyeliner can sometimes be tricky. But, with practice and precision it can become a great go-to look for running errands by day and going out by night. A brand I’ve heard repeatedly mentioned for a dramatic or simple look is Wed ‘n Wild’s H2O-Proof Liquid Eyeliner.
 It comes in Ultra Black, Black-Brown, Smoky, and Espresso colors and is a quick buy at your local drugstore for anywhere from $3-$11. It’s felt tip brush allows you to put it on in an instant as well as create lines from a wide range of thickness.

For having no clue what foundation was up until recently, I’ve heard nothing but good things about Clinique’s Even Better Makeup. The oil-free foundation comes in every shade imaginable to match different skin types.
 It’s great to even out the skin tone all over your face and is dermatologist recommended. It’s available at any Clinique counter for $24.50.

The concealer I just began using is Laura Mercier’s 2-in-1 concealer and eye shadow base. It’s just a small little container that you just dab under and around your eyes.
 It’s nice because it moisturizes and protects dry skin areas that under eyes are prone to. You can get the Secret Concealer in six different shades from any department store, Laura Mercier’s website or Sephora for $22.

As the cold, cloudy days have inevitably arrived, bronzer becomes a girl’s secret weapon. Nars’ bronzer is one of the best ones I have ever used. It’s matte with a slight shimmer that adds that necessary “pop” to anyone’s face.
 In three glowing shades, when applied it will make you look like you have healthy, tanned skin. You can purchase the bronzing powder from Nars on their website, any department store with a Nars counter, or Sephora for $33.

I just bought Urban Decay’s Eyeshadow palate, “Naked” right before school started this year. I have never owned a full palette like this one before and I have gotten so many girls complementing the great, diverse colors.
 It comes with 12 unique shades and includes a brush and a bonus miniature eye primer. I don’t know what I’d do without this palette because it allows me to do makeup but have the pleasant, neutral shades that I prefer using. The Naked palette is available at Sephora or any department store carrying Urban Decay products $48.

With cold winds blowing, I highly recommend Palmer’s Cocoa Butter Swivel Stick. It’s great for a soothing feeling to your lips and I love that it has a huge glue stick look to it.
 It’s also great for dry, cracked skin as well. This chapstick is available at any local drug store in the skin product aisle for around $3.00.

Finally, in order to put all this makeup on, you’ll need brushes! I love M.A.C’s Make It Perfect Brush Kit. It comes with a snowglobe-inspired bag and comes with brushes for bronzer, blush, eye shadow, and a blending brush. The soft bristles feel great on your face and aren’t rough or irritating on your skin.
 This brush kit is available on M.A.C’s website or at any M.A.C makeup counter for $49.50.

Lauren is a fifth year senior at Michigan State University pursuing a bachelor’s degree in Journalism with a specialization in Editorial Reporting which she will graduate with in the summer of 2012. She previously graduated in May 2011 with a bachelor’s of arts degree in Apparel and Textile Design. Last summer she interned at 944 magazine which helped to strengthen her love for journalism. Lauren loves planning events such as the MSU Annual Undergraduate Fashion Exhibit last year where she had some of her designs and clothing featured. She loves sewing in her spare time and creating beautiful clothes for herself, friends and family. Lauren also enjoys entering her designs into fashion shows such as the Annual Apparel and Textile Design Fashion Show last spring on campus where one of her dresses was a finalist for the judges choice award. She loves any kinds of sweets, cooking, crazy nail polish colors, Italian and Mexican food, shopping for shoes, MSU football games and watching The Devil Wears Prada over and over. Lauren is so excited to be a part of the Her Campus team and is very eager to begin the Her Campus branch at Michigan State!