Mackinac vs. Mackinaw: What’s the Difference?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Mackinac Island is a popular summer destination thanks to the beautiful views, amazing fudge, and unique atmosphere. I visited for the first time this past summer, and when staying in Mackinaw City, I noticed something weird: Mackinac Island and Mackinaw City are not spelled the same way.

Early Inhabitants and Explorers

The Ojibwe tribe has lived primarily around the Great Lakes and is responsible for the original naming of Mackinac Island. When looking at the shape of the island, they likened it to that of a turtle, thus naming the island “Mitchimakinak,” which means just that: big turtle. When the French arrived, they translated the name to their language, making it “Michilimackinac.” Later, the British shortened the island’s name to “Mackinac,” and later still – circa 1850’s – founded Mackinaw City under a more phonetic spelling. 

Pronunciation

Whether it’s written as Mackinac or Mackinaw, the pronunciation remains the same, keeping that “aw” sound at the end. So even though Mackinac has a different spelling, the “ac” is never pronounced. It’s kind of like the homophones ‘right’ and ‘write’ – there’s one pronunciation for two different spellings. 

Distinguishing Between the Two

On one hand, there’s Mackinac Island, Mackinac Bridge, Fort Michilimackinac, Straits of Mackinac, Mackinac County, etc. And on the other hand, there’s Mackinaw City. Knowing the history behind the designation and the telephone-game-esque naming of the city and island helps distinguish between the spellings. Mackinaw City is spelled with the “aw,” but everything else keeps the original French spelling. 

Still, there remains the question as to why the British changed the spelling of Mackinaw City but not that of the island, straits, bridge, etc. Many believe this distinction was intentional, making it easier for mail deliverers to keep their bearings straight. On that account, it may have worked, but the spelling discrepancy of Mackinac and Mackinaw continues to perplex people. Tourists may fall victim to this confusion more often, but even those who know which is which may not know the full story. And, if you ask me, it’s a pretty interesting one.

Katie is a double major in Journalism and Astrophysics at Michigan State and the Senior Editor for the HCMSU chapter. She is an avid reader and loves writing, especially poetry. When she isn't writing or learning about space, she loves to listen to music and scrapbook. To see some of her recent works, visit her blog: katietswritingcorner.wordpress.com