gaelle marcel S6hz7Y1FCTs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
gaelle marcel S6hz7Y1FCTs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Long Distance Relationships in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Long distance relationships are terrible — in college or not. Whether it’s new, if your relationship is going on three plus years, or you’ve just met some cutie from another college… point blank: they suck. But just like everything life has to throw at you, there are pros and cons too . In retrospect, here are some helpful pros and cons to get you through you time away.

Pros:

1. Independence

You might be a little weirded out by all of this alone time, but honestly, you’ll appreciate it. It’s good to find time for yourself and have nobody to be watching over you. Use this time to find something fun to get involved in…or just relax and watch Netflix. Having this little bit of independence is good for you! Don’t be afraid. You’ll have all the free time in the world to do literally whatever you want and it can be really fun too!

2. Better communication

While you’re apart, you’ll understand the importance of good communication. If you’re used to constantly being around them or even if you’re just getting to know them, communication is key in any relationship. If you’re used to being with them all the time, being apart is weird and a hard adjustment. It’ll be hard at first, but no matter what, you’ll learn to develop those key elements of communication, like what you ate for breakfast, how many time you went to the bathroom and all about those annoying people in class..just kidding (maybe.)

3. Deeper appreciation

Returning to another cliché –, but it’s true — absence make the heart grow fonder. Spending week after week apart, sucks,but the time you spend together is well worth it. It’s exciting to see them after such a long time apart. It’s probably the best part — or actually the second best part, if you wait for number five.

4. Puppies and babies! (Just kidding, we’re talking loyalty)  

The kicker about being apart is you learn if your relationship is for you or not. During your time apart, because there is so much freedom, there has to be trust. If you can withstand the temptation, or if you don’t feel like you can trust your partner, maybe a LDR isn’t for you. However, this time apart can bring your relationship to a new level with trust. If you and your partner can remain loyal, it changes your relationship so much and it brings you so much closer.

5. Sex

This is the best part. It’s like a cheat day on your diet…but you’re not cheating, so it’s good for ya! Go without something for so long and you enjoy it so much more. There’s such a better connection between you and your lover. You won’t find anything like this again. The best part is, it doesn’t lose its touch.

Cons:

1. Missing your partner constantly

This is probably one of the worst parts of any LDR. When you’re in a relationship, you want to share every part of your day with them. From just having them to accompany you to class or when you’re eating alone in the dining hall. It is such a downer when you miss the small parts of each other’s day and Facetiming just doesn’t cut it.

2. Partying

Being in a long-distance relationship at a party without your dance partner is like being single at a couple’s party. Everyone else is rubbin’ all up on each other and you have to be on guard at all times. You almost have to dance in a complete circle, watching your surroundings and making sure some random isn’t about to grind all up on you. Plus, it’s a total party pooper not having them around when you’re out having a good time.

3. Missing out on snuggles

College is stressful and not having a reliable cuddle buddy with you is a killer. After a long rainy day on campus, all you want is to come home and snuggle up with your love, it’s unfortunate when you realize your partner is hours away! Make sure you bring your body pillow or a stuffed animal wearing your favorite t-shirt of theirs because that’s the closest you’re gonna get to Netflix and chill for weeks.

4. Jealousy: The silent killer

Ooooh, don’t even start with me. Nothing is worse than getting jealous hundreds of miles away (this one goes both ways.) When there’s that one girl at home that thinks just because you’re gone, means she can start hittin’ up your man. Not today!

5. Fitting into each other’s schedules

The possibility that you both have the same schedule as your partner is about one in a million. College keeps you super busy and the same goes for your partner. You are going to have contradicting schedules and finding time to have a good quality conversation is very difficult. The worst part about it is when you finally get that text or call, but you’re about to walk into a two-hour lecture, or they call and wake you up from a nap by accident. Both situations are killer.

All and all, LDRs have their quirks, it takes a real good relationship and a whole lot of dedication to make it work. My advice to you all is to cherish the time you do get to spend together or talking. Through this you will learn not to take the time you get for granted.

Don’t be discouraged when you hit your bumps — all the frustrations of being long distance will make your hormones rage, I swear.

Just take time to focus on each other and put the little things in the past. Focus on what is important to keep moving on. Anyone can do this — you just have to have the will to make it.

Content creator. Editor. Pop culture enthusiast.