Life > Experiences

Local Coffee Shops to Try in the East Lansing Area During the Starbucks Strike

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Starbucks has faced major backlash around the world since suing Workers United, a union for Starbucks employees, for posting a Pro-Palestine message on social media. The lawsuit started when Starbucks Workers United posted “Solidarity with Palestine!” on X (formerly known as Twitter). As thousands of innocent civilians, including children, are being bombed and killed in Gaza with nowhere to escape, the world is outraged with the company’s response to the matter. This outrage has led to a strike. Starbucks lovers are feeling conflicted, especially with the holiday season menu being released. However, many people aren’t aware of the other options here in East Lansing, many of which are locally owned and operated. After discovering these gems, you may not find yourself missing Starbucks. As a coffee connoisseur, I’m here to open your eyes to my favorite locally owned coffee shops spots of all time in the East Lansing area.

Strange Matter Coffee Co.

Strange Matter is my go-to spot for delicious coffee and donuts. However, this isn’t your average coffee and donut shop, Strange Matter is queer and women owned, and all of their pastries are vegan. They also have gluten-free donuts and pastries to try! There are three locations: Eastside Lansing, Downtown Lansing, and the MSU Union. The MSU Union offers Combo-X-Changes, so if you have a dining plan on campus, you can get a coffee and vegan donut as a combo for no extra charge! Strange Matter also does campaigns to help the community by donating money to various charities. All you have to do is round up to the nearest dollar to participate! Each location has a great ambiance, with artwork, plants, pride flags, and cozy seating. The Eastside location is my favorite to socialize or study at, with tons of cozy couches and the best music. My favorite items are the cinnamon honey latte, vegan blueberry donut, and their seasonal beverages. When I make my coffee at home, I always use the Strange Matter coffee beans that they sell in-store. I’m a big fan! 

Blue Owl Coffee

Blue Owl is a great choice around campus! The atmosphere is warm and welcoming, and there’s lots of seating. There are also three locations for Blue Owl: East Lansing, Reo Town, and Old Town. Their coffee and tea beverages are fantastic, and they have great snacks such as bagels, cookies, and scones. Blue Owl puts an emphasis on community, which is why I think the space is so awesome. They’ll even have events with live music and open mic nights, which are always super fun to check out! I recently tried the Grandma Goat drink, which is a chai tea latte with maple syrup and brown sugar. It was perfect for the cozy, fall weather, and I’m excited to see what their holiday season drink menu entails, as Starbucks isn’t the only place that spices things up for the holidays.

Foster Coffee Company

You can never go wrong with a visit to Foster Coffee Co. Foster is my favorite study spot in town, as they have an upstairs area with lots of seating that’s a little more quiet than the downstairs area. The coffee and snacks at Foster are great, and they even have a full menu if you’re hungry for something more than a small pastry. Foster has locations in both East Lansing and Owosso, Michigan. One thing I love about Foster is the diverse menu, as not only do they serve meals, but you can get something other than coffee or tea. Their smoothies are amazing, and they also have fun bottled drinks such as kombucha and sparkling water available. My favorite drink for the chilly weather is a hot Chai-Der, which is simply chai with apple cider. It is absolutely to die for, and you can’t beat walking around with a hot cup of fancy cider in the nippy Michigan weather. Foster is always coming up with unique coffee drinks each season, such as their peach cobbler latte, so make sure to stop by and try something new!

Hooked

While Hooked is a little further off campus than the other choices, the vibes are unbeatable. Hooked is a cute bookshop cafe, and they even serve alcoholic coffee beverages, cocktails, and wine for my 21+ friends. The seating is very communal, with long benches lining the whole cafe. I always meet someone new when I stop by, and I never leave without a book (even though my shelf is overflowing). They even host events from time to time where you can meet an author, join a book club discussion, attend a book fair, or just participate in a fun community event like a game night. They’re open late until 11pm on Fridays and Saturdays, so if you ever need a chill spot to check out for those late night study sessions, Hooked is a great choice. 

While you may be used to Starbucks, it’s important to remember that money is what drives businesses. If you don’t support their actions, it’s important to take your business elsewhere. Plus, each of these options are small businesses, which are super important to support! If you’re worried about being in a time crunch, Foster and Strange Matter offer order-ahead services, so you can easily be in and out. Give these businesses a try, and don’t forget to spread the word if you enjoy them!

References:

Starbucks, Workers United union sue each other in standoff over pro-Palestinian social media post

Charlotte Plotzke (She/Her/Hers) is double majoring in communication and music at Michigan State University, and is projected to graduate in the Spring of 2024. Plotzke serves as an assistant editor for Michigan State University's Her Campus chapter, where she assists in editing and publishing articles for the chapter. Plotzke won second place in the "News" category in the 2023 Her Campus Chapter Awards for her article covering a March For Our Lives rally against gun violence in Lansing, MI, which served to honor the victims of the MSU shooting on February 13th, 2023. On top of writing about activism, wellness, experiences, pop-culture, and current events, Plotzke enjoys going to concerts, cooking, singing, traveling, and watching bad reality TV.