Libby Lussenhop: Spartan Marching Band

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Name: Libby Lussenhop

Majors: Arts and Humanities/Professional Writing ’14

Hometown: Clarkston, Mich.

What made you get involved with Spartan Marching Band? 

I played trumpet from sixth grade through my senior year in high school, and I always loved marching band. It’s something of a therapeutic activity, because you have to invest all of your focus and energy into marching and playing with precision, which lets you get away from everything else in your life for a little while. I auditioned for the band the summer before my freshman year at MSU, and was fortunate enough to be offered a spot in the band. I don’t think a day goes by without me thinking about how lucky I am to be a part of the organization.

What is your role in the band? 

I joined the band as a freshman, and was voted into a squad leader position for my sophomore year (and have been a squad leader since). A squad leader is responsible for coaching three other band members, primarily on marching, but squad leaders also make sure their squad members have memorized all music, and are generally having a successful experience in the band and at Michigan State.  

What instrument do you play? 

Trumpet! 

How long have you been playing? 

I’ve been playing trumpet for about ten years now, which really makes me feel old. 

What does it take to be a part of SMB?

In a word: dedication. I see dedication as a combination of solid work ethic and a ton of passion for what you do. You have to hold yourself accountable to get to rehearsals on time (sometimes insanely early in the morning), have all your music memorized, and know every spot on the field for each show. Besides all that, though, you have to love every bit of that commitment — at least to some extent — because the only way to blow people away with a performance is by channeling genuine emotion and energy through your work. 

Best memory so far with SMB: 

Probably my freshman dress experience. Every member of the band goes through a freshman “dress rehearsal,” which consists of marching the Series (our parade march) across campus with the other members of your freshman class. There’s way too many traditions built into that experience, but I’ll never forget the feeling of unity that prevails through out the entire band once the freshmen have completed the dress rehearsal. 

3 reasons why you love being in the SMB:

1. The traditions.

2. The passion and the discipline.

3. The people.

What are else you’re involved with? 

I’m the president of RCAHppella, one of the co-ed acappella groups on campus, and I love it almost too much. (If you’re unfamiliar with the MSU acappella community, you should check out Acapallooza or any other aca-show, because there are some insanely talented groups on this campus, folks. Shameless plug.) Otherwise, I do a lot of extracurricular stuff within the Residential College in the Arts and Humanities, and I have a job creating animated training videos for companies. 

Where could someone most likely find you on campus?

Generally, I’m either with the band on Dem Field, or I’m somewhere in Snyder-Phillips, my home away from home. When I’m at the library, you’ll know it’s me, because I always take my tiny four-cup coffeemaker and drink coffee while I work all night long. It’s super cost-effective. Bring a mug if you ever see me there and we can share.

Fun fact about yourself:

My go-to fun fact is that I grew up in Campinas, São Paulo, a city in Brazil. I lived there from 1998 to 2003, and I’m proficient in Portuguese. It’s probably the most gorgeous language and one of the most beautiful countries in existence. 

Marissa Russo is a senior at Michigan State University studying  journalism with a concentration in apparel and textile design. Her love for writing coincides with her love for design, and after graduation she hopes to work at a publication that allows her to do both. Marissa is a co-campus correspondent for Her Campus MSU. Follow her on Instagram: marissrusso and Twitter: @marissrusso