This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Growing up, I’ve read many stories and watched numerous movies on a ubiquitous theme: love. From Prince Charmings to happily ever afters, love always seemed like a fairytale romance as the lovers ride away into sunset. Reality, however, is far different from fiction —in real life, relationships aren’t always as perfect. Arguments are always present, clashes are inevitable, and the relationship might not even last until the end. Even when you love someone and work through those hardships, life doesn’t always pan out how you want it too. Sometimes, the differences are too great or the solutions only last until the next problem tears them down again. It’s always hard to move on when you want to stay attached to your loved one. However, no matter how much it hurts, I want to tell you it’s okay to let go.

Letting go will hurt, most definitely. The relationship seemed like the stories we grew up fantasizing about, and you were happy with your partner. But for whatever reason, the relationship was not helping you grow as a person or it was holding you back in a way that wasn’t beneficial for you mentally or emotionally. In cases like this, no matter how hard as it might be, let go. You will be wounded and there will be days where you cry and wonder if it was worthening the relationship. You might wait for a text from them or feel the urge to see them, and it’ll take every ounce of strength in you to shift your focus on anything but how they made you feel and the memories you share. Getting food again from your guy’s favorite restaurant or stumbling across the song you always listened to together;everything will seem to have a trace of your love remaining on it, reminding you repeatedly of what the two of you shared. 

However, the pain is not permanent. I promise you. Life will flow and carry you along with its current, easing the loss you experienced. As time goes, you will heal. Day by day, the pain will lessen a little at a time, and that small, distant glow at the end of the tunnel will become significant to welcome you into a new chapter of your life. The memories won’t fade — no, they’ll be with you forever, but only the happiness will remain. The familiar song will take you back to those times, but a smile will grace your face as you eat that nostalgic meal, happy to have learned and grow as an individual. 

You’re not alone, trust me. The journey might feel isolated and lonely, but the person you become on the other side of the breakup will have thanked you for not losing hope. Love is a precious gift, but it becomes even more significant when you choose to focus it on yourself. So don’t think of it as a loss, think of it as the beginning of a new adventure to grow and find yourself in an ever changing landscape of life. Moving on is scary, but I implore you to do it and witness the beautiful side of love and life that awaits you on the other end — a destination worth the difficulties endured on the way. All you have to do is finally unclasp your hand and let go.

Hi! My name is Meghana Jalagam, and I am a senior at MSU. I am double majoring in neuroscience and psychology, and I am on the pre-med track. My passions outside of school are dancing, reading, writing, trying new foods, and being social!