This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Tis’ the season to get spooky and to celebrate the things that get us into the Halloween spirit. Growing up, my family and I would always watch Halloween movies, from the moment October arrives to when the November breeze kicks in. I want to share with you some of my all time favorite Halloween classics, from watching Disney Channel and Nickelodeon to watching slasher and paranormal franchises. 

Starting with Disney Channel and Nickelodeon, every year around Halloween these channels would have a theme called Monstober. If anyone remembers this, you lived through the good ol’ days! Every kid show, like Wizards of Waverly Place, Hannah Montana, Suite Life of Zack and Cody, ICarly, and Spongebob Squarepants were all so iconic and truly enjoyable to kick back and watch with some family and friends. We can’t forget about the Disney Channel original movies Halloweentown, Twitches, Hocus Pocus, the Nightmare before Christmas, Ghostbusters, and Beetlejuice! Also, in elementary school, they always used to play Wallace and Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit as we would pass out treats around the classroom. Those were the days!

Moving on to the more horror side of Halloween classics, with iconic characters and soundtracks, includes my all time favorite, Halloween (Michael Myers), Friday the 13th (Jason Voorhees), A Nightmare On Elm Street (Freddy Kreuger), The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (Leatherface), Child’s Play (Chucky), and Scream (Ghost face). Let’s not forget about the classics Psycho, The Shining, and Poltergeist. It also may not be for everyone, but I drew attention to the paranormal and killer clown movies that had been created in the past years representing memorable jump scares. This includes the Conjuring Universe, Insidious franchise, Paranormal Activity, and the iconic creepy killer clown movies, IT.

There are most definitely many other memories of classics and iconic movies/tv shows out there, but these are just a few I’ve listed to jog some childhood memories back in order to get into the Halloween Spirit. I believe Halloween is such a special holiday because it gives us the opportunity to not only dress up in costumes, watch horror movies, and receive or pass out candy, but it also gives us the chance to appreciate a day that can bring so much joy into each other’s lives.

Kailah is a fourth-year student pursuing a B.S. in Neuroscience and minor in Cognitive Science at Michigan State University. She is obsessed with learning about the creation of earth science and the formation of health science. She has a passion for creating music compositions and performing on a variety of instruments. In her free time, she enjoys self-teaching herself how to play music arrangements on the piano, guitar, and the violin. Kailah gets her inspiration from watching many TV/Movie genres and enjoy playing video games. She also adores writing genuine articles and remarkable poetry that many individuals can relate to.
MSU Contributor Account: for chapter members to share their articles under the chapter name instead of their own.