This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

I follow a rigid morning schedule: Wake up at 6am, check my phone, brush my teeth, check my emails, make coffee and start homework. It doesn’t take a detective to see something is clearly wrong here. To wake up and immediately start working, only to end the day fatigued and worn-out is not healthy. I’m not alone in this insane monotony: 45% of the workforce is part of the phenomenon known as “hustle culture.” We’ve all seen the hashtags promoting slogans such as ‘let’s get this bread’ or ‘the grind doesn’t stop,’ and it proves that hustle culture is everywhere, whether we want it to be or not. 

Here’s a basic definition of Hustle Culture: To grind and exert ourselves at our maximum capacity, every day. This is typically seen in millennial culture, especially in the tech and business worlds. It is important to note, however, that hustle culture exists within our own generation too. I have heard so many stories of peers staying up late at night to get work done, sacrificing their sleep for science problems. I am no stranger to this culture either — my current morning routine makes me want to nap every single day. This begs a serious question: Why are so many people obsessed with work right now?

It’s because we love the stress of work. In today’s technology-driven world, efficiency is everything. Since work is becoming more streamlined, companies are changing the perspective on productivity. Many feel it is simply not enough to just do the work anymore — the goal has become centered around ‘over-achieving’ rather than just celebrating the achievement. In my personal experience, I hardly noticed my small successes if they didn’t add any value to my end goals. This is unhealthy and can cause stress or even burnout

One may argue that hustle culture promotes a strong work ethic and produces efficient work. While it may be true that people are working harder, it doesn’t necessarily mean that they are working smarter. It is not okay that so many of my peers view work in regards to its deadline rather than its academic content. Mindless learning isn’t learning. If one is doing their work just because it’s due and they completely disregard the information — it’s not efficient work. 

I don’t think hustle culture will be going away anytime soon, meaning self care is more vital than ever. It is crucial to step back from the emails and the notifications and to take a break. Make sure you’re taking time for yourself, and find healthy ways to manage stress.

Take care of yourself. We’re in the hustle together.

A Michigan State University student by day, an 8-hour sleeper by night Aditi would best describe herself as a "rather simple enigma." As she embarks on her college journey, Aditi cherishes the simple things in life: a cup of coffee, some pastel post-it notes, and her ever-growing succulent.
MSU Contributor Account: for chapter members to share their articles under the chapter name instead of their own.