Lauren Trolz, ‘18

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Name: Lauren Trolz

Year: Senior

Major: Special education- Learning disabilities with a focus in language arts

Hometown: Lake City, Michigan

What do you love most about your major?

I enjoy working and helping people, especially children. For me, school was easy but it was always just “so-so.” I want to be able to make school fun but also make it easier for students to learn by catering to their strengths and weaknesses.

I also can’t beat the friends that I’ve made in my classes by being part of the Global Education Cohort Program. This allowed me to be in the same classes with the same group of people for my first two years. After that, we got into the same classes on purpose. 

What is your favorite thing about MSU?

The atmosphere and the people.

What kind of activities are you involved in?

Last year I got involved with the program called Spartan SEARCH where I was a peer mentor for students with cognitive disabilities. This year, I joined MSU Chaarg, which is a super fun fitness club for women on campus! I also work in the College of Education as a TIE, or Technical Intern in Education.

What did you think about your study abroad experience? What is the best thing you got out of it?

I LOVED MY STUDY ABROAD EXPERIENCE! I got the chance to travel all around Italy with some really awesome people, including the awesome Darian Jones. The best things that I got out of it were the friends that I made and the feeling that I could do anything.

What do you hope to do after graduation?

After graduation in the spring, I plan on moving to the Grand Rapids area and completing my student teaching internship year.

As a senior, what advice would you give to freshmen?

Don’t be afraid to try new things, because that is what college is for! Go to informational meetings about different clubs on campus, sign up for a random IM sports team — that’s what I did my freshman year and I met the man on plan on spending the rest of my life with! Let loose on the weekends! No matter what your personality is, try to put yourself out there. Just don’t forget about getting good grades. I learned that the hard way.

If you could eat dinner with one person from history, dead or alive, who would it be?

I’m not a huge history buff, so I would have dinner with my late great-grandfather named LoRen. I was named after him but I never really got to know him.

If you could have one superpower, what would it be?

To fly.

Content creator. Editor. Pop culture enthusiast.