This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Student Entrepreneur’s Business Seeks to Help the Homeless

I sat down with Josh York, an MSU student who I recently met on a school networking trip, and I was blown away by how much Josh has already accomplished. I must say, the future Steve Jobs could be upon on us with the whole, “I started my business as a ‘fun little thing in my basement,’” thing going for him.

Name: Josh York

Year: Senior

Major: Supply Chain Management/German Minor

Hometown: Livonia, Michigan

What made you choose MSU? Most of my close friends from high school went here, which was my first reason to look into it when deciding where to transfer as a junior from community college. Next was its proximity to home and prestigious business school, specifically the SCM Program.

What are you involved in on campus? I’ve been involved in a lot. E-board of MSU Entrepreneurship Association, President of my Fraternity, Phi Delta Theta, Spartan Ski Club, Phi Chi Theta Co-ed Business Fraternity, MSU Armenian American coalition, Spartans Rebuilding Michigan service club, and Corporate Retail Association.

If you had to describe yourself in one word, which word would it be and why? Passionate. I think that I live life with a passion that makes every other part of my life work the way it does. I’m happy to be alive and able to do the things that I do.

I heard that you started your own company called the York Project. Tell me more about your company and what you do and sell? The York Project was a fun little thing I started three years ago in my basement.  I was making (Screen printing and sewing) clothes that I wanted to wear that had my last name on them, and once I realized my friends would want to buy them, I put up a webstore and sold a few. After my first 40 or so, I donated a box of the same number of beanies to a Detroit homeless shelter.  I realized that I had a sustainable business idea that I could also use to benefit others, and so I rolled with it.  Since then, we’ve done sales in 7 countries, 27 states, and donated more than 10,000 items to the homeless in 17 cities nationwide.

Where or how did you get the idea for the York Project? I always just designed what I wanted to wear, and I took the idea of TOMS Shoes and applied it to my local community. I also plan to employ the homeless in the not too distant future to be helping out in manufacturing the products and running operations.

Who would you say is your greatest inspiration? People. Everyone has a unique story and way of doing things, and it just really interests me.

What are you most passionate about? Helping people.  If I’m making the world better for someone else, I’m happy.

What is one quote that you live by or that best describes you? “Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.”

What are your plans for the York Project in the next few years? Where do you hope to take the company?  By 2020, I’m hoping to be able to employ at least one homeless person through the business. I’d like to keep growing that number to help more and more people

Where do you see yourself in 10 years? In 10 years, I see myself running a business or two in Detroit and constantly pursuing new innovations.

What are your plans post-graduation? Postgrad, I’m hoping to spend the summer in the fashion industry in NYC, and then I’ll be starting a fulltime job at Abercrombie and Fitch in October doing International Sourcing.

What would you say is the most rewarding thing about starting your own company? What is the most challenging part of starting your own company? The most rewarding part is all of the people that it has helped me meet. From people looking to get involved and help out, the internships it has helped me get, and even the people I meet that the company helps, it’s just been cool to meet so many amazing people from all walks of life.

The most difficult part is just balancing life and work. I’m very involved in school and social events, and it’s tough to always find time to run and grow the company. I do love doing the work though, so it’s just a fun part of my day!

Why did you choose Supply Chain Management? I chose the major because I like how it directly relates to the product. I like being able to touch and really understand what I’m talking about, unlike finance or accounting, for example, where everything is just numbers on a screen.  I also like how SCM ties every function of the business together.

What advice do you have for freshmen? Pick something that you’re passionate about and find a way to do it. It doesn’t have to be glamourous like starting a company, but find others that are also motivated by it, and do something great to help change the world!

What is the greatest piece of advice you have ever received? My mom always said, be nice to everyone. Treat everyone as you’d like to be treated, and good things will come your way.

Check out Josh’s business’s webpage!

Feminist | Editor | Lesbian