President Joe Biden, Vice President Kamala Harris, and their spouses during the 59th inauguration in D.C.
Photo by U.S. Army Private 1st Class Laura Hardin distributed under a Public Domain Mark 1.0 license
Culture > News

Joe Biden’s First 3 Days & Executive Actions: What are they?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

No president has signed more than one executive order on inauguration day. President Biden signed 17 executive orders. He signed 10 more the next day. In his first three days, he has taken a total of 30 executive orders, actions, and memorandums. Many focus on reversing his predecessor’s actions. So, what are they? Today, I’ve decided to compile a list of his actions from the past few days. 

But first, some key terms…

Presidential Proclamation: As defined by Phillip J. Cooper, “states a condition, declares a law and requires obedience, recognizes an event or triggers the implementation of a law (by recognizing that the circumstances in law have been realized).” 

Presidential Directive/Executive Action: Written or oral instruction or declaration that draws on the powers vested in the president by the U.S. Constitution, statutory law, or congressional and judicial acquiescence.

Presidential Memorandum: Manages and governs the actions, practices, and policies of the various departments and agencies found under the executive branch of the United States government.

January 20, 2020 

January 21, 2021

January 22, 2020 

What’s next for the Biden Administration? 

Biden is expected to take a multitude of executive actions in the next week including an executive order declaring “Buy American” day, focus on equity with plans to sign a memorandum directing Housing and Urban Development to take steps to promote equitable housing politics, and re-establishment of the President’s Council of Advisors on Science and Technology. He also will sign a memorandum on scientific integrity and issue an executive order on regulatory measures to combat climate change. Biden will rescind the Mexico City Policy and review the Title X Domestic Gag Rule. Executive action on Medicaid and open enrollment under the Affordable Care Act could be in the works as well. Regional migration and border processing, the US refugee policy, the establishment of a family reunification task force, and immediate review of the Public Charge Rule will be the basis of multiple executive orders. 

Biden appointees are also in the process of Congressional approval. A Senate Impeachment Trial will begin on February 9th. 

Sources: 

Wajeeha Kamal is a freshman at Michigan State University in the James Madison and Honors College. She is majoring in political theory and constitutional democracy. Alongside, she plans to pursue a dual-degree in journalism. She is minoring in history. Wajeeha would like to go to law school for constitutional law and work for the ACLU or as a federal prosecutor. In her free-time, she enjoys researching true-crime, reading, and watching Netflix!
MSU Contributor Account: for chapter members to share their articles under the chapter name instead of their own.