Jessie Skaff, girl, red dress, pretty, sky
Original photo by Jessie Skaff

Jessie Skaff: Class of 2023

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Major: Psychology 

Minor: Cognitive Science 

Hometown: Ann Arbor, MI 

Zodiac sign: Sagittarius 

Position within HCMSU: Editor in Chief, Staff Writer

A Member of HCMSU since Summer 2020.

MSU junior, Jessie Skaff, has played a major role in shaping HCMSU into the organization that we are today. On top of being the Editor in chief, Jessie is extremely involved within the MSU community. From spending time with friends, to leading SEBA (Spartans Empower Body Acceptance) as their vice president, to being a peer leader for the Peer Body Project, to being a research assistant and being a part of both the Honors College and Psychology Honors Program, she is truly smart and dedicated to being the best version or herself and inspiring others to do the same.

“I like that HCMSU gives me the opportunity to improve my writing skills in a flexible way, such that I’m able to write about whatever I’m interested in,” Skaff said about her involvement within HCMSU. Also, “being EIC has been a really great experience. I’ve been able to learn a lot both about the editing process, which I think has helped improve my own writing a lot, and also about being in a leadership position.” 

Even with such a busy schedule, Skaff still finds time to focus on herself, whether that be practicing yoga, scrolling through TikTok, or listening to music.

“Right now, some songs I’ve had on repeat include Good Life by G-Eazy & Kehlani, Black Balloon by The Goo Goo Dolls, Emily by New Rules, Fever by Dua Lipa and Angèle, and Closing Time by Semisonic,” Skaff said. “My library spans a really wide variety of music!”

Jessie is also a cat lover, her super cute cat named Sandy always provides love and support. “My love language is a mix of quality time, words of affirmation, and physical touch,” Skaff stated.

Sandy Skaff, Jessie Skaff, Jessie’s cat, cute cat
Original photo by Jessie Skaff

When asked about her future plans, Skaff stated, “After graduation, I plan to [likely after a gap year or two] go to graduate school and pursue a PhD in clinical psychology. As of right now, I would like to pursue a career as both a researcher and a clinician, perhaps working in or opening my own private practice one day.”

As we’re wrapping up this semester and preparing for the next, Skaff shares, “I would say if you are on the fence about joining HCMSU (or any other HC chapter), definitely do it. It is a great place to improve your writing skills, meet other people, and also gain leadership experience by being on the e-board if you’re interested. The club has a lot to offer and you get out of it what you want to.”

You can check out some of Jessie’s articles here.

You can also find Jessie on Instagram.

Kaytlyn is a Senior at MSU majoring in Marketing and minoring in Creative Writing. She has been a published journalist and writer for over six years. Kaytlyn is currently the Chapter President and Campus Correspondent for HCMSU as well as being involved in the Campus Trendsetters program, College Fashionista program, and the HCM Internship Credit program. Outside of Her Campus, Kaytlyn has two cats, Leo and Zelda, as well as a ferret named Willow. She is also the President, Marketing Director, and a co-founder of the Creative Writing Club at MSU. She is also a cheer coach.