This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Name: Jenise Cook

Age: So close to 21! 

Unique Nickname(s): Butterfly. My mom gave me that nickname when I was a kid, and it just kind of stuck. Butterflies are very graceful, and the nickname makes me think of the song “Black Butterfly” by Deniece Williams. One of the lyrics says “…Black Butterfly, set the skies on fire…rise up even higher…so the ageless winds of time catch your wings.” How inspirational is that?!

Major: I’m a double major in Theatre and Interdisciplinary Studies in Social Science (IDS)

Best Talent: I act, I sing, I dance, and I craft. Yes, I am superwoman.

Fashion Inspiration: I draw a lot of inspiration from ’90s fashion. I literally wear whatever makes me feel comfortable; leggings one day, a Cosby sweater the next, and combat boots and a dress the next day. Lately, I’ve been feeling grown and sexy, so I’ve added red lipstick and high heels to my wardrobe.

Life’s Passion: I want to be involved with the performing arts in any way, shape, or form. I would absolutely love to spread the joy that dancing and acting have given to me. Even if it means playing Mrs. Darbus from High School Musical while she’s teaching high schoolers about Shakespearean text with a fabulous scarf wrapped around my neck!

Favorite Extra-Curricular On Campus? I’m only involved with the MSU Theatre Department. I gave up all of my extra-curriculars to pursue theatre full-time, but I swear I’m well-rounded!

Dream Job: To be on Broadway, Center Stage. Acting is literally an obsession for me. When I first entered the Theatre Department, my professor told me that in order to be in this profession, I have to be obsessed with it. I wake up singing songs from Broadway musicals and I go to sleep watching video clips of Broadway actors either belting out powerfully high notes or doing wild choreography to a number in a musical. Just talking about it gets me excited. 

Which celebrity or public figure would you trade places with? I would love to trade places with Audra McDonel. I was actually there when she received her 6th Tony Award (which is a record). She is a powerhouse. She is beautiful, talented, and inspirational. She does it all: plays, musicals, television. I like to think of her as an angel sent from above for the sole purpose of making us cry at her awesomeness (corny, I know right??)

What’s the biggest piece of advice you would give to other women your age? A couple of days ago, I was doing my voice lessons, and out of nowhere, my voice teacher asked me where my dream place was. I said New York for some very obvious reasons. Instead of discouraging me, or giving me some generic piece of motivation, she told me plain as day that I will get there; all I have to do is show up! If you have a passion for something, and I mean a passion, as in this is something you can’t go a day without thinking about, DO IT! Don’t sit on the sidelines and wait for someone, anyone to hand you anything at all! Maybe one day you’ll open your eyes and your dream will be right in front you.

Hi Collegiettes!I'm Amber Taylor, Campus Correspondent at Michigan State University!I will graduate from MSU this May with a degree in journalism and a specialization in design. I am a native Chicagoan who loves shopping for anything from shoes, to midi rings to plates from Crate & Barrel. In my spare time, I enjoy live music and observing contemporary art. SO excited to get MSU more involved with HerCampus this year!Feel free to reach out to me! -HCXOAmber