This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Ever since the social media platform YouTube was created in 2005, it has blown up in a way that is unexpected and unprecedented. 300 hours of videos are uploaded to YouTube every minute with an estimated total of 1.3 billion users. While YouTube has been mentioned in the mainstream media before, it is usually not in the best light. (Thanks a lot, Logan Paul.) Unless you are a YouTuber yourself, there is a lot of mystery behind the craft and what it’s like to have a full-time career as a content creator. As someone who, admittedly, spends too much time watching YouTube, I wanted to learn more. I was lucky enough to be able to interview such a person, creator, and my personal friend, Omegon. 

Omegon has three channels: his main channel where he mainly does commentary on different current topics, a political channel, and a third where he reads short stories from authors like H.P. Lovecraft and Edgar Allen Poe. He is a British man with a lovely, smooth and posh English accent which makes these spooky stories delightful to listen to. With these channels combined, he has over 76,000 subscribers. He also does gaming streams on YouTube and Twitch. His political views can lean either way and while we don’t always agree, he is always able to have a constructive, respectful, and open conversation about our views. He is quick-witted, honest, and has a tone often dripping with sarcasm. Using both an avatar and a fake name, he is seen as a mysterious figure, and I hope this interview will give viewers a better insight into who Omegon is and what he’s about. It was a pleasure to interview him.

J: “Let’s start at the beginning. Why did you originally get into making YouTube videos in the first place?”

O: “I was unemployed for three years and dealing with loneliness, and I wanted to add my voice to the social/political commentary.”

J: “How long have you been doing it for so far?”

O: “About four and a half years.”

J: “What career would you have chosen if you didn’t go down this path?”

O: “I wanted to be a doctor. I have a Post Grad degree from the University of East Anglia in chemistry. But clearly that didn’t happen.”

J: “Outside of making videos, what do you do in your spare time?”

O: “I have a second job as a self-employed cleaner, which I’ve been doing since before I started YouTube, I play guitar, I like to 3D print things, and I play video games.”

J: “I know you can’t be totally open about where you live, but can you give me a slight idea?”

O: “A coastal town in the county of Kent in England.”

J: “What is your typical schedule like when it comes to making a video from starting to finish? How long does it normally take?” 

O: “It depends on the video, some take a day and some take months, but I try to never do them in bulk. I typically work on videos for about eight hours a day, from writing to editing to uploading.”

J: “Were you nervous when you first started? Did you have any help?”

O: “I was terrified, but I persevered and worked through it. I am completely self-taught.”

J: “Why did you choose to use an avatar instead of showing your face on camera?”

O: “I have sisters, nieces, and nephews whom I want to protect. The internet can be really brutal and I didn’t want to put their privacy or safety in jeopardy. Only a few people from YouTube know who I am and what I look like, only a couple being other creators.”

(Taking a moment to humblebrag that I am one of those few people who has seen his face.)

J: “What was the inspiration behind your avatar and name?

O: “The name Omegon is from a book titled Legion. My friends saw me in the character, in that he is easy to pass by, and you don’t really look twice at him. The avatar was inspired by my niece seeing a Cthulhu ski mask and she loved it. I became a “Cthulhu Kin”. 

J: “Do negative comments ever bother you?”

O: “Not usually, but everyone has moments of emotional fragility. If a comment does bother me I try to recognize it happening and walk away for a while to gather myself.” 

J: “Where do you find ideas for videos?”

O: “Sometimes by me just randomly coming across things that I find interesting, relevant or feel like I need to talk about, and sometimes I get ideas from my patrons.”

J: “What is the typical reaction you get when you tell people what you do?”

O: “Not many people know, but when I do tell someone they’re typically confused and don’t really understand what that means at first.”

J: “The mainstream media hasn’t painted YouTube and YouTubers in a positive light. On top of that, older generations often don’t understand what it is and don’t see it as a valid or sustainable career. What would you say to them?”

O: “I would say that not every YouTuber is the same, and when it comes to older generations, new forms and markets of technology were constantly starting back then as well, like the invention of the television or the computer. This is just a different branch. People should be able to express their ideas, work hard, and be rewarded for it. This is a way for people to do that.”

J: “What advice do you have for people considering starting their own channel?”

O: “I think that depends on what kind of content you want to make, what you want to get out of it, and what motivates you. Overall, do what you love doing, be patient, work hard, and try to find a way to stand out. It will probably take a long time, but there is no harm in trying and no shame in failing if you do. 

J: “Is there any topic that you won’t talk about?”

O: “I think it would be foolish to rule anything out. I may not feel comfortable talking about something specific, but an overall topic, no. Never say never.”

J: “What are your goals for the future?”

O: “To grow my channels, I suppose, keep creating a consistent and solid fan base, and to never let it get to my head.”

J: “What is your favorite video that you have made so far?”

O: “Content Constable: Foodie Beauty Part 2.”

J: “Least favorite?”

O: “My very first video, it was called “Pilot”, it’s no longer on my channel though, it was too cringy. There was lots of breathing, awkward speech patterns, and no flow. There’s also one on called “Azathoth” on my Moistski Reads channel and it was the first video on there as well.”

J: “What is the biggest obstacle you face doing YouTube?”

O: “Consistency. Knowing when to evolve, when and how to improve, always challenging myself so I never get complacent.”

J: “Biggest pros and cons of the job?”

O: “As for pros I like being in charge, knowing that it’s all on me and staying true to myself. The biggest con would be the unknown with YouTube constantly changing the rules. But if one is able to adapt, you can continue to thrive and prosper.” 

J: “Anything you want your viewers to know?”

O: “It sounds silly, but that my voice isn’t fake. I am actually this posh. I get asked this all the time. Other than that, I don’t think so. I try to remain aloof.”

J: “Final thoughts?”

O: “Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to read this article to get the perspective of someone who spends quite a bit of time building and creating to entertain people in their own unique way.”

Thank you again to Omegon for doing this interview and please subscribe to his channels! 

I am a junior at MSU studying Social Work. In my spare time I enjoy writing, reading, gaming, watching movies, and spending time with friends and family.
Ananya is the President of Her Campus at Michigan State. She is majoring in Human Biology and minoring in Health Promotion, and post-graduation, she will be attending medical school! If she's not studying, you can find her watching TikToks or Grey's Anatomy!