I Watched My First Thriller Movie This Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

I am absolutely not the kind of person who likes to be scared. So, needless to say, I don’t understand why people watch horror movies or go to haunted houses. Apparently, this surprised my suitemates when I told them. 

My roommate, suitemates, and I usually like to do a bonding activity together every couple of weeks. One time, we all decided to sit around their TV and eat popcorn and Insomnia cookies. When I told them I hated the idea of horror movies, they decided to make me watch one. 

Okay— we didn’t watch a horror movie (I don’t think I would’ve been able to handle it), but we did watch a thriller. That’s scary enough for me. The movie was called “Split” and it was about a guy with multiple personalities who kidnapped a group of young girls (great choice, I know). 

Even though the whole movie I had a blanket over my face, I was surprisingly into it. I think discussing the movie as it was happening made it a little less scary because we were all joking about how we would react in their situation. The only “scary” part of the movie was the suspense and the creepy camera angles. Other than that, I enjoyed it. 

I probably was overhyping how scary thriller movies are in my mind, so I freaked myself out before the movie even started. But, once I got ahold of myself, I started liking it. If you get scared easily, I think that thriller movies are actually a fun way to watch movies with friends in the fall to get into the Halloween spirit. 

Would I watch another one? Sure— as long as I’m with a group of friends. Would I watch a horror movie? I am definitely not there yet, but give me 18 more years and maybe I’ll warm up to the idea. 

Freshman @ MSU Class of 2023
Taylor is an alumnus of Michigan State University's James Madison College and Honors college, holding a Bachelor of Arts in Social Relations and Policy and a minor in Women's and Gender Studies. She formerly served as the Editor-in-Chief and co-Campus Correspondent of MSU's chapter. She works in Lansing She's passionate about women's rights, smashing the patriarchy, and adding to her fuzzy sock collection.