This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

If you’ve ever scrolled through TikTok, you might have seen the immersive TV lights on the For You page and wondered if they worked or looked good. Being impulsive, I decided to buy them! Here is my review of these lights!

Before I start my review, let me explain what these lights are. The brand I am reviewing in this article is the Lytmi Neo-Pop HDMI 2.0 Sync Box & TV LED Backlight Kit, Immersion Ambient Lighting Strips found on Amazon. These lights connect to your TV and calibrate the light pixels to display the colors shown on the TV at the border of your screen. Lighting up your room, these lights give you a more immersive experience when watching movies, playing games, or ambient lighting. 

In my review of this product, I will be discussing the following: The quality and functionality of the product, the price of the product and any alternatives, operational failures, and overall, if I would recommend the product.

Quality and Functionality

After owning these lights and using them for the last two weeks, I would say that the quality is pretty exceptional. 

These lights (used in tandem with the TUYA app), allow three operational modes such as movie, video, and gaming. Depending on which kind of lighting and ambiance is needed you can choose between strict ambiance or dynamic blacklight matching. 

Overall, the function of these lights allows for a completely immersive experience that doesn’t take away from the tv screen.

Price

The price of this product wasn’t cheap, however, at $115, it was the best option for the quality of the product. 

For example, the Govee light system offered on Amazon is about $90. While it is on the cheaper side, the product review showed that different hues of lighting had difficulty rendering. There is also the fact that a camera must be present on the TV itself to calibrate the pixels on the TV to the lights.

Continuing to compare price points, the most expensive backlight system on the market is the Philips Hue backlights, which go for almost $300. When comparing brand to functionality, I stand by the price of the Lytmi lights.

Operational Failures

If you choose to buy these lights to bump up your immersive watching and gaming experience, you should be aware of the cons that come with purchasing these lights.

So far, one of the notable faulty experiences that I’ve had, was the set up. The setup for these lights was slightly confusing and took about an hour to understand and get the lights calibrated to the TV. Along with the setup, the app was challenging as well. Not being able to find the Lytmi app on the app store was frustrating, but being able to find the TUYA app as an alternative system works perfectly in its stead.

Overall Thoughts

Overall, this product is a must have. Being able to immerse yourself in dynamic functioning backlights seriously makes you want to sit in front of the TV for hours. 

In terms of how I would rate this product, I would give it a solid 10/10, even disregarding the trouble in the beginning. 

Seriously, buy these lights, you won’t regret it!

More Information:

If you are wondering where to find the lights mentioned in this article, here are the links to each Amazon page: 

Govee Envisual TV LED Backlights: https://a.co/d/0weQ9iF

Philips Hue Gradient LightStrip: https://a.co/d/geujpAD

Lytmi Neo-Pop: https://a.co/d/ii5Hxio

Lauren Welch is a senior at Michigan State University studying Political Science pre-law with a minor in Law, Justice, and Public Policy. Lauren Welch is currently the secretary for the Michigan State University chapter and loves to write articles that relate to the college experience and tips on how to survive college in the most fun way. You can reach her through email at welchla3@msu.edu