biden
biden
HCM Design
Culture > News

“I Am” Affirmations with Senator Kirsten Gillibrand

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Kirsten Gillibrand is a mother, senator and above all, a woman — a voice that exposes injustice and arms that uplift those struggling to uplift themselves. 

On Thursday, Oct. 29, Senator Gillibrand spoke at a virtual press conference with Her Campus founder Windsor Hanger Western and a plethora of college reporters from across the nation. I was lucky enough to be one of the reporters.

Before the event, my knowledge on Senator Gillibrand was rather limited. I knew she was a Democratic senator from New York. I knew she was progressive. I knew she backed Joe Biden and Kamala Harris. I was intrigued to say the least. 

Soon my intrigue catalyzed into immense respect. Senator Gillibrand spoke with an intoxicating confidence. She left me feeling inspired to chase my dreams — even if those dreams are often scoffed upon. 

“You are smart enough, tough enough and capable enough to do anything you want to do,” Senator Gillibrand said.

With the power of an “I am” affirmation, we can embody Senator Gillibrand and practice self-love.

I Am Empathetic: Senator Gillibrand acknowledges the struggles of women, especially women of color. She shares that black women are four times more likely to die from pregnancy-related complications than white women. Instead of cowering in her privilege, she uses it to fight for universal healthcare and education to eradicate health disparities.

I Am Resilient: Senator Gillibrand ran for the 2020 Presidential Election. Despite her best efforts, she didn’t clench the Democratic nomination. Instead of becoming defeated, she continues to move forward and fight for progressive ideals in congress, like the elimination of cash bail and the decriminalization of marijuana.

I Am Vocal: Senator Gillibrand advocates for young women to speak up about the issues that matter to them. We must share our views, question others and keep the conversation going — even if it’s uncomfortable. In the virtual press conference, she questioned why a majority of political journalists are white males. She also questioned why leadership positions in Hollywood are predominantly held by white males, as we should.

“If we value ourselves, eventually, others will value us too,” Senator Gillibrand said.

It starts with a role model. It starts with a goal. It starts with the power of “I am.” 

Hunter is a journalism student at Michigan State University. With a concentration in broadcast media and a minor in Spanish, she is passionate about storytelling and creating empathy through understanding.
MSU Contributor Account: for chapter members to share their articles under the chapter name instead of their own.