This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Valentine’s Day takes place February 14th and is a flashy day filled with flowers, hearts, candies, and cards. This can be a lot to take in, especially for someone who doesn’t have a significant other. However, Valentine’s Day can be for everyone! Here is how you can survive the flashy, lovey-dovey, toothache of a holiday.

Feed Your Ex to an Animal

Valentine’s Day is not the day you should stalk your ex and obsess over them or their new significant other. It’s time to move on! As you may have seen on TikTok and other social media platforms, you can name a cockroach after your ex and it’ll be fed to an animal. There’s plenty of zoos around the country that will feed a cockroach named after your ex to their animals. On the flip side, there’s other programs, like at the Brookfield Zoo in Chicago, where you can name a cockroach after someone to show your undying love for them.

Make Plans

It can be easy to wallow around in pajamas with a box of chocolates in hand. Instead use the holiday as an opportunity to spend time with your loved ones. You can get dressed up and take stunning photos. Or you could just stay in and have a movie marathon with your besties.

Spa Day

Why not use this as an excuse to pamper yourself? Instead of allowing the day to fill you with stress and sadness, take a moment to relax and reset. Put on a face mask, lounge in a bubble bath, watch a show, or read a book. Use this day to put yourself first and focus on self love!

Treat Yourself

Valentine’s Day sales are plentiful so it can be a good time to do some shopping! Get something you’ve had your eye on or get a gift for those you love. Candy is also plentiful and there’s lots of cute treats you can indulge in. Enjoy these treats yourself or share with friends and family. Whatever you decide to do, make sure to take advantage of those day after candy sales on February 15th!

Spread Love

Make yourself and others feel good by spreading love! The idea of Valentines doesn’t have to stay stuck in elementary school. A simple gift of flowers, a card, or candy can make anyone feel good. You can make someone’s day and include them in the holiday. 

No matter your relationship status, you can not only survive Valentine’s Day, but enjoy it too! This year, use it as an excuse to have fun and spread love!

Leah Lindemeyer was formerly the Community Outreach Director and an editor for Her Campus as MSU. She helped HCMSU remain active in the community and give back to East Lansing. Lindemeyer graduated from Michigan State University in spring of 2024 with a bachelor's degree in communication and minors in media photography, public relations, and global studies. After graduation, she will go to Ohio State for her Master's in communication. Lindemeyer wrote and edited for her high school's journalism program for all four years she attended. For her work, she earned the James L. McCann "Excellence in Journalism" Award two years in a row. In her free time, Lindemeyer enjoys water skiing, traveling, watching romantic comedies, and taking photos.