This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

As usual, with all news articles published about COVID-19, all the reputable information comes from sources such as  the CDC and the WHO. 

On November 24th the Omicron variant was reported to the World Health Organization with a suspected origin in Botswana and South Africa. As of today, however, the Omicron variant can be found in Canada, the United States, China, Italy, U.K., and other European and Asian countries. The Omicron variant is alarming as it spreads  faster with  increasing strain on hospital systems that we currently have.

The CDC recommends vaccination status up to booster shots as these vaccinations can help slow down the mutations of COVID-19 and cause less damage to those who are infected and impacted. 

How should you deal with the new variant? 

Continue wearing a medical or disposal mask in public spaces where a social distance of six feet can not be maintained. Keep up with washing your hands after being in public or applying hand sanitizer before you are to touch your face and others.

One of the best things to do to slow the spread is to make sure you are staying on top of social distancing and avoiding crowded spaces when not needed.

Remember – stay healthy and read up on how the COVID-19 vaccination and booster shots can help put a stop to the spread of new mutations and keep you safe. 

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/index.html

Lauren Welch is a senior at Michigan State University studying Political Science pre-law with a minor in Law, Justice, and Public Policy. Lauren Welch is currently the secretary for the Michigan State University chapter and loves to write articles that relate to the college experience and tips on how to survive college in the most fun way. You can reach her through email at welchla3@msu.edu