This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

If you’re anything like me, you often struggle with figuring out what to write an article about. Almost everything that I write usually is the culmination of days upon days of trying to come up with something new or creative. For me, this is usually the longest part of the writing process, but I’ve come up with a few ways to make it easier.

1. Keep a Quick Note dedicated to topic ideas

As and when you think of something interesting, or something you’d like to write about, jot it down and keep it all in one place.

2. Look at Twitter Trending

If you enjoy keeping up with all of the latest happenings around the world, open Twitter and look at the topics trending that day. You can do this over a period of multiple days and make note of everything that interests you.

3. Imagine yourself to be a billionaire

Sounds ridiculous, I know, but it works wonders. Imagine yourself to be a billionaire and think about every activity/adventure sport you would do if you could afford it: water skiing, sailing, or even wine making. Then, write about those topics, or write about how and what you would do to get the best out of it.

4. Think about your hobbies

You can even look at your hobbies, the subjects you study, and the things you like to do that make you, YOU. Write about your experiences with trying a new food, a trip you took, or something new that you learned.

5. Use the color wheel

Generate a random color, and look up things that are that color. If I ended up with blue, I would think about things that are blue: The Smurfs, Avatar, and the oceans to name a few. If you want to generate more topics, generate more colors and start combining things.

Employ the method that works best for you. You can extend it to things outside of articles as well, like speeches, or even powerpoint nights with friends and family. Keep writing and have fun with it!

Sanskriti is an undergraduate astrophysics major who loves to read and is very passionate about making and eating dumplings. She is the current Vice President of the Astronomy Club at Michigan State University, and can often be found hunting for new horror podcasts to listen to.