This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Being a groupie sounds outdated, having been popular in the 1970s and 1980s. A particular artist or band on tour doesn’t seem to happen as much nowadays, as you are able to see them personally in a number of ways: music videos, Instagram posts, TikTok, and more.

However, the groupie culture is alive and well. While it’s not as common to meet an artist or band members anymore, seeing an artist multiple times live is still done by a number of fans. This summer, I am seeing the rock band, Greta Van Fleet, two times on their Starcatcher World Tour. The friends that I am going with for the concert in Cleveland, Ohio, have been to multiple shows during previous tours. Since they are veterans in my eyes, I have asked them to mitigate my fears over standing in line for hours, making sure I have everything that I could possibly need. To help others who are in the same boat as me, I’ve compiled a short list of things to know if you want to be a groupie correctly. 

1. Venue Rules

For any concert, you should be aware of the venue rules beforehand. Naturally, no two venues will have the same rules or be alike, whether or not the same artist or band is performing there. Some rules that you should look out for are the wristband systems for entering the venue, the time they want fans to line up, whether or not you can stay overnight, bag policies, etc.

1. Know the General Area

This seems like a natural thing to do when going to a concert, but you’d be surprised how often this is overlooked by fans. Once you are at a particular place, you might become overwhelmed and forget where things are, or you might not be used to how everything looks. To mitigate this, look up the venue and the nearby area before you get there, and plan accordingly! Find out where to park, how much you will pay, where you’ll be lined up, what restaurants and stores are nearby, the closest public restroom, etc. It will save you a lot of trouble and confusion. 

1. Passing the Time

Bring things to pass the time. You’re waiting in line for hours, you’re gonna need something to do to keep you sane—a Nintendo switch, a book, a laptop, or card games. Remember, not all of your time is going to be in line, and you don’t want to strictly rely on your phone to pass the time. If you are going to depend on your phone, the next tip is crucial. 

1. Bring a Portable Charger

Naturally, you will want to bring a phone charger if you are going to be out for a while. However, if you are the type that you know will be on your phone often, either to record videos or for other reasons, you should bring a portable charger. While you can charge your phone in your car or in other areas, you can’t while at the actual concert venue. 

Think about it—the worst thing that could happen would be your phone dying before the concert even starts.

1. Layers, Layers, Layers

Depending on where your concert is and what time of year, layering can be a lifesaver. Especially in Michigan, where the majority of concerts that I have attended were in, the weather can be ruthless. To avoid freezing  your ass off, bring long sleeve hoodies, jackets, and anything else that might be helpful while you stand in line. One of the most overlooked things you can bring that I highly recommend are hand warmers—when insulation is not enough. 

1. Food and Water

Pack lots of food and water. You can live with having too much, but you can’t with having too little. It might seem a bit extra, but you will be waiting in line for a while, and venue food and drinks are highly expensive. You can think of it like you are going on a short trip, especially if your concert is out of your state. Also, you really don’t want to pass out once the concert gets going.

1. Alertness 

If you are camping all night, you don’t want to stay tired. You’re already not in your own bed, outside or near a venue, so you want to make sure that you will be alert even if you are not well rested. 

Bring caffeine or look up if there’s a coffee shop nearby so as to make sure you’re not tired for the concert that you’ve waited so long for. 

1. Join Like-Minded Groups

To know more about the concert experience and speak with people who are also going on the same experience as you, you can Join Facebook groups for the event or the band/artist, or use other social media such as Twitter. You’ll get a lot of information there, especially if people are planning on doing fan-made wristband systems or are looking to find more information about the venue. You can even make friends in these groups! 

Seeing one of your favorite artists or bands live is an amazing experience, and small inconveniences should not negatively affect you and your time. To make sure that you are making the most of the trip, keep in mind these tips and your concert experience will be one that you will never forget. Your experience, groupie or not, should be phenomenal! I hope these tips can help you and your friends for the next time you go to a live show, and don’t forget to have fun and make the most of it!

Belma Hodzic has been a staff writer for the Michigan State University Chapter of Her Campus since spring of 2022. Belma Hodzic is a junior at Michigan State University. A student of MSU's James Madison College, she is seeking a dual-degree in Comparative Cultures and Politics and World Politics, while double-minoring in Film Studies and Women and Gender Studies. She aspires to go into filmmaking or documentary production in the aim of representing marginalized communities and bringing culture into conversation. When she isn't studying, she enjoys exploring the horror genre and all things creepy. In her free time, she enjoys reading, drawing, watching and analyzing movies, as well as spending time with her friends.