Wellness

How Thanksgiving This Year can be Even More Special and Memorable

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Every year, one looks forward to a couple of things during Thanksgiving season. Some of which include spending time with family and friends, scrumptious Thanksgiving dinners with a touch of turkey, the beauty of the late fall and the early winter spirit, and definitely the variety of sales and attractive prices on Black Friday! This year, Thanksgiving is likely going to be a little different. Some of the ways Thanksgiving could be celebrated include spending time with family only and having a Thanksgiving dinner together with limited meetings with friends and others. But this can make Thanksgiving special this year when we recall the purpose of celebrating Thanksgiving, to give thanks and being grateful for our blessings.

Celebrating Thanksgiving with family and anyone whom you currently live with can make this year’s celebrations as we can recognize and celebrate the blessing that we have —being together healthy and safe during the pandemic. Considering the ongoing impact of the pandemic, we can all be very grateful to be with loved ones during these turbulent times. Additionally, this can be the time when we can spend quality time with one another and do things we have always wanted to do together, such as games, watching movies, and other activities. Wouldn’t it be a great idea? As far as activities are concerned, how about creating some creative items that can come in handy for those in need, and thereby contribute to the community and help those who are not as fortunate as us. Being grateful encourages us to help those who aren’t as fortunate as us.

One can understand how we could miss celebrating with friends and extended members this year, as those have enriched the festive spirit  of sharing your celebrations with others. Nevertheless, we can share our celebrations on Zoom with our friends and extended family members. Similar to how we celebrated Halloween together on Zoom, why not creatively celebrate Thanksgiving on Zoom? Wear your favorite Thanksgiving dress, bring your Thanksgiving dinners to the Zoom platform, watch a movie together where one can volunteer to open the movie on their laptop and share their screen. Using some of the other features that Zoom offers, celebrations can become even more touching and memorable. 

Due to rising cases, we are a little unsure about safety as far as shopping on Black Friday is concerned. Well, another way to make the most out of Black Friday sales is to shop online and get your shopping delivered to your doorstep. Secondly, another way that is more meaningful this year is to treat your weekly shopping of groceries and other items as Black Friday shopping. Although it may not seem appealing at first, this can intensify the idea of being grateful for our blessings. We can be grateful for the food we get, the clothes we have, and many more things we have. 

In conclusion, Thanksgiving will likely look different this year. Nevertheless, recalling the purpose of why we celebrate Thanksgiving, and applying it in our celebrations this year will make the season particularly special and unforgettable. 

I am an undergraduate student at MSU majoring in Landscape Architecture in the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources. Along with my interest in design and creation, I am also passionate about writing and creation through words and language. Writing allows me to express myself and my perspective of everything that goes on in our daily lives and live the joy of creating meaning through diction and other stylistic features.
MSU Contributor Account: for chapter members to share their articles under the chapter name instead of their own.