Style > Beauty

How To Take Care Of Your Skin During Cold And Dry Weather

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

While our minds are occupied with upcoming homework and due dates, we sometimes forget to take care of our bodies and our skin. Michigan weather is really annoying and I have to prep my skin before and after I walk out into the cold. It’s a lot, but I rather have smooth skin than miserable dry, red skin all because I was too lazy. My skin, especially around winter time, is sometimes sensitive and I’ve dedicated my quarantine experience to find out what works best for my skin.

Sidenote: The products I list below currently work and have worked in the past based on my experience. Each product works differently for everybody, so I can not confirm that one product will work for everyone. I know everyone, including myself, has different skin types and has their own skincare battle. I urge everyone to continue their skincare journey and to find products that work for themselves because it may be a long process. Good luck!

No Fragrance

I have eczema and when it flares up during the winter, I absolutely can not use anything that contains fragrance. Fragrance, as you might have guessed, is when something is scented like your hand cream, perfume, deodorant, or even your body lotion or body cream. I love using my Bath & Body Works body creams, but I avoid putting them on my hands or sometimes my neck because eczema will flare up on my hands, arms, and neck. In place of it, I instead use Cetaphil’s body lotion because it’s really lightweight and has no fragrance so my eczema doesn’t mind. 

I also switched up my body wash from Bath & Body Works to Dove’s Sensitive Skin Body Wash. From the first couple of times I used this, my skin has been baby soft and I’ve been using it since then. I first got it because my eczema flared up during the spring (still Michigan winter though) and have been using it for the same reason. I don’t use B&BW anymore but Dove is a nice, cheaper alternative too. I do not think there’s any fragrance in it as it is labeled sensitive and it’s a gentle body wash that doesn’t annoy my eczema.

For my face, I used Cetaphil body lotion before but I thought it was too lightweight and opted for something more hydrating and with a thicker consistency. After watching Hyram over the summer, I switched to Cerave body lotion. I really haven’t noticed a difference because my skin is oily (particularly my forehead), but I enjoy this consistency more than Cetaphil’s. However, Cetaphil currently works better for my eczema so I’ll use it besides Cerave. If you’re concerned about your face wash, I know for a fact Cetaphil’s face wash leaves my face feeling soft and cleansed afterward. It’s not great against acne or breakouts but it’s gentle enough not to irritate my eczema.

If you’re still concerned about potential breakouts or flare-ups on your skin, I would recommend sensitive clothing detergent and dryer sheets for a side of precaution. I use Tide’s sensitive clothing detergent and know that Bounce came out with sensitive dryer sheets a couple of months ago even though I haven’t tried them yet. I definitely don’t have to use sensitive clothing detergent, but it’s nice to know I’m protecting my skin.

Hydrating Hand Cream

If you don’t suffer from eczema from time to time like me, I love using Bath & Body Works hand creams when my skin is doing okay. Their hand creams are packed with oils, moisturizers, and fragrances that will definitely leave your hands smelling amazing and hydrated against the hard cold. They are a must and I do not know how I would survive without them. I love putting them on after washing my hands as they get really dry and these leave my hands pretty soft. For a cheaper alternative, Cetaphil’s body lotion is also great for the hands and is super easy to apply.

Moisturizing Chapstick

Everyone hates chapped lips, especially when they start to peel and bleed. I for one, dislike them and try to avoid them at all costs. That’s why my friends and family always see me with lip balm around. The cold air is also your lips’ worst enemy. It’ll make them dry and chapped instead of the nice and smooth consistency that we all like. To make sure they’re smooth as a baby, I love applying a good moisturizing chapstick. One of my favorites is by the Chapstick brand and it’s their moisturizing edition. It also contains SPF 15 so it protects your lips against the sun’s harmful rays and provides eight hours of moisture. The cake batter flavor from the Chapstick brand is also a long-time favorite of mine. Chapstick is famous for being pretty cheap and costs $1 at Walmart for singles so it’s an easy pick me up! My favorite recent buy so far is Glossier’s Balm Dotcom which is basically a fancy version of vaseline. They offer a variety of flavors: original (no scent), mint, birthday, rose, cherry, coconut, mango, berry, and wild fig. I was never a fan of applying lip balm with my fingers, but Glossier makes the experience fun. I currently have the birthday cake flavor and can’t wait to buy another one.

I hope you’ve found a product or planning on trying one and hopeful it works out for you! If it doesn’t, it’s not the end of the world. There are a thousand products in the skincare world that will target your skin concerns that may or may not help your issues. The journey may be long and expensive, but hopefully, you’ll find your go-to and never look back!

Michelle is a junior studying Human Biology on the Pre-Med Track. She is a writer and assistant editor for Her Campus MSU and a member of Pi Beta Phi fraternity. Her favorite things are her dog, Charlie, reading, and traveling!
MSU Contributor Account: for chapter members to share their articles under the chapter name instead of their own.