How to Stay Motivated Throughout the Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

At the beginning of the school year, we often find ourselves feeling both organized and motivated. But somehow, despite convincing ourselves that we won’t procrastinate, we seem to lose that initial spark. With a little bit of determination, these steps will help you make this your best semester yet:

1. Keep a planner

And not just for the first week. Invest in a planner you know you’ll be sure to use and dedicate time each day to write in it. Writing things down will help you visualize and remember all that you have on your to-do list.

2. Set smaller goals

Bigger goals are great, of course, but sometimes can be hard to stick with. Smaller goals are much easier to reach. Try setting one daily, weekly and monthly goal, to make sure you’re staying on track. By doing so, you’re more likely not to give up.

3. Establish a routine

As the weeks go on, work to establish a routine. This can help with your time management and being able to prioritize. Forgetting an assignment leaves you with that sick feeling in the pit of your stomach – something that nobody wants! Get comfortable with your schedule so that you’re sure to remember the important things and enjoy the little things.

4. Find a good support system

Surround yourself with people who build you up and want to see you succeed. Find strong and optimistic people with similar goals, working on becoming the best version of themselves. When your goals are aligned with those around you, you may find it easier to achieve them. A positive attitude can have a serious impact on your motivation.

5. Learn to say no

This can be a tough one for all of us people-pleasers out there. However, we need to learn to focus on what we need to do, rather than what others need us to do. By prioritizing and taking time for ourselves, we’re more likely to stay motivated as time goes on.

6. Reward yourself

When it doubt, #treatyoself. When you do well on an exam, finish all of your homework early or are feeling good about where you’re at, reward yourself. Acknowledge your progress and remind yourself that with hard work and that extra motivation, you’ll reach all of the goals you set.

Overall, staying motivated is up to you. Set some goals, get into a routine and focus on the things that you believe are most important!

Content creator. Editor. Pop culture enthusiast.