This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

I know everyone has been on this craze to become a plant mom, but it’s not as simple as you think. Sometimes you buy a plant, hoping it survives. And sometimes, no matter how much you take care of it, it just dies. I bought my aloe plant, Stanley, 5 years ago and he has survived with me through everything. Sometimes simple is best, and there are simple things you can do in order to keep your plant healthy and alive! 

Make sure it’s a plant you can manage with your time

When it comes to buying a plant for your home, make sure it’s something that you can manage within your schedule. If you’re someone who is always busy and never home, it’s best to buy something such as a succulent or cactus. If you are home quite a bit, then something such as a monstera should be perfect! 

Water your plants (but not too much)

Of course, you always want to water your plants, but you need to make sure you know how much your plant needs. Plants like succulents only need watering about once a week, and other plants like ferns or elephant ears need lots of water! If you water your plants too much it could result in drowning your plant and ultimately killing your plant baby (we do NOT want this to happen), and not enough could result in droughting your plant and killing it. It’s all about balance. Learn about your plant, and do what’s best for your new plant! 

Repot your plant every so often

Something I think many people don’t think about is repotting your plant. If you buy your plant when it’s a baby, it will grow, and sometimes they will grow out of their pot, which is something you do not want. When you start to notice your plant getting big, you’ll want to change its pot and allow them to spread and grow. There are many pots to choose from, ones with a water chamber, clay pots, or whatever your heart desires!

Renew your soil

Just like repotting your plants, your plants need new soil! Over time, your soil can lose nutrients to help your plant grow healthier and stronger. Depending on your plant, it’s recommended to place new soil around every 6 months. Make sure to check the needs of your exact plant, and if your plant does not use soil (air plants or bamboo), plan accordingly to your plant’s needs.

Make sure it’s in the right environment

Some plants like a lot of sun, and some like full shade. Some plants like a warmer, tropical environment, others can withstand the cold. our plants might not be able to survive the best if you live in a place with cold winters and low sunlight and your plant loves warm climates and a lot of sun. Aloe plants love sunlight, so it’s best to place them near a window, and lilies love the shade, so placing them on your living room table might be best. Buy a plant that best suits your environment in order for a better chance of living a long, healthy life.

Becoming a plant mom seems hard at first, and sometimes a plant dying is not your fault. It might take a few tries before you get it just right! By following these steps, you’ll have a better chance of having your plant live a longer, healthier life. Do your research, and take care of your new baby, because becoming a plant mom is highly rewarding. 

Genevieve Fox is a senior at Michigan State University studying Environmental Journalism. She is an E-Board Member and Design Chair for Her Campus MSU. She has designed Her Campus MSU merch for the years 2021 and 2022. Her writing has been featured in the Spartan Newsroom, Great Lakes Echo, Capital News Service, and WKAR. She also has audio work featured on The Food Fix podcast and WKAR-radio.
MSU Contributor Account: for chapter members to share their articles under the chapter name instead of their own.