This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

The final date to register online to vote in Michigan was October 19th, and with record numbers of people registering to vote this year, that doesn’t mean they will actually go out and vote. According to the United States Election Project, in 2016 only 65.7% of eligible voters actually voted in the general election (in Michigan), and that number was much lower for student voters (ages 18-24). Therefore, the second thing every voter needs to do on their 2020 Election Voter Checklist is to make a Vote Plan. 

Making a vote plan is the best and easiest way to cast your ballot; by creating a plan you are making yourself accountable for actually doing it. There are different ways to create a plan: making a personal plan on a notes app, piece of paper, or in your mind. Additionally, there are organizations that have created tools for you to make a plan. PIRGIM Students are reaching out to students, faculty, and organizations to help them create a vote plan with a specific tool they have created. The tool allows you to create the plan and have PIRGIM follow up with you on the day you decided to vote, keeping you accountable. This tool is the easiest way for you to remember to cast your ballot (the link will be at the bottom of the article). Here is what you need to decide while making your plan: 

1) What method of voting you are going to use 

a) Absentee/ Mail-in voting 

i) This requires additional steps of requesting the absentee ballot 

b) In-person voting 

i) This requires you to find your local polling place 

2) Decide on the day 

a) Michigan has an early voting period, meaning that you can go vote in person from now up until (and on) election day 

3) Research the candidates 

a) Each voting district will have different local candidates, make sure to research who you are going to vote for 

4) Vote! 

a) Follow your plan and vote 

By having people create a Vote Plan, it raises the possibility of them voting by a large amount. PIRGIM’s vote plan tool not only allows people to create a vote plan but also allows PIRGIM to follow up with them on the day they decided to vote. Go to this link and you can create a personalized vote plan.

I am a Freshman at MSU, majoring in Political Science (Prelaw) and Psychology. I am also an intern with PIRGIM and love to play Water Polo.
MSU Contributor Account: for chapter members to share their articles under the chapter name instead of their own.