This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Being home for school can be extremely hard, especially for Freshmen who have to completely navigate through college online. Students will find that it is hard to focus, interact with peers and professors, maintain a social life, and do fun things outside of home. Being a Freshman myself, I found it really difficult to feel motivated and handle the workload, however, I was able to find a few ways that have helped me make online schooling a little bit more bearable. Below I have combined a list of things you can do to help you stay motivated, inspired, and a bit more mentally, physically, and emotionally well.

Redo your Room/Workspace

By far the best decision I have made a week into online schooling was redoing my room. A workspace that appeals to you will greatly motivate you to want to get more work done; make your room representative of your style and something you feel excited to be in. To start off, I recommend using pictures representative of your favorite memories which will fill your room with positive and happy vibes. Try hanging up motivational quotes, sayings, or memories that remind you to keep going. If possible, change up your bedding or simply add new elements to it; a simple new throw blanket or playful pillows can change the whole look. Changing up your room can be as simple as just rearranging items and furniture around your room, organizing your clothes and other belongings in a new fashion, or even adding a few paintings or art pieces that represent you; small changes can often brighten up your environment!

Pamper Yourself

This is the most neglected, yet is an extremely important category. With a heavy workload and busy schedules, many people believe it is hard to pamper themselves and find it to be very time consuming. However, this is not at all true. Pampering yourself can be as manageable as taking five to ten minutes doing a simple skincare routine before bed, taking time to eat proper meals for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, going out for a walk, doing a simple workout routine, or even watching your favorite TV show for some time. It is so important to feel good in order to stay motivated; I cannot stress this enough! Your pamper session could be as simple as taking some time to put on a quick face-mask while doing homework or using an air diffuser to help you relax. Moreover, designating time specifically for eating proper meals, self-care, and having leisure time every day to do something you enjoy is the key to balance. It is therefore important to use planners, reminders, and notes to stay ahead of deadlines and tasks so you can plan ahead and have time to relax. I’m aware this is not always possible, but it is definitely possible to find time-effective ways of pampering yourself: bubble baths, face-masks, snacking, lighting candles, or writing down your thoughts are a few of the multiple ways of treating yourself. Find what works for you and makes you feel relaxed.

Set Boundaries

This is one that I often have trouble following myself. While this definitely takes some disciple and adjustment to get used to, it will change your life! Giving yourself deadlines and limits when planning out your day is very important. Although there are exceptions with last-minute emergencies and occurrences, for the most part, on a regular day basis, this method is highly effective. For example, I like to finish my assignments the night before the day it is due. I make it a point to end work before a certain time on days of the week such as Fridays or days where I’ve had a very busy class schedule. Boundaries are super important in teaching yourself important skills of organization, planning, and responsibility. Moreover, it will highly decrease stress levels and allow you to have a good night’s sleep and a stress-free wake-up.

Attend Workshops, Virtual Events, and Meetings

Schooling being online makes it harder to not be lazy, especially being in your bedroom all day. However, there are a plethora of activities to do online. This could be attending events hosted by student organizations at your school, attending seminars or workshops hosted by different departments at your school, or finding virtual volunteering, shadowing, and mentoring. With multiple virtual platforms, it is easy to bond with peers through events, learn on multiple topics through online resources, and get involved with your school. It talks with professors, study groups, virtual collaborating, and connecting with peer mentors/advisors. I highly recommend everyone to stay involved in some way and keep yourself with a healthy number of things to do; keep in mind each person has a different limit on the amount of work they can handle.

Take Days Off and Interact

Take days off to completely laze around and catch up on sleep. I recommend doing these once per week when possible to completely take your mind off school and start afresh the next day. I usually do these on Sundays or Saturdays to spend time with family and friends, binge-watching a show, or doing some sort of activity that excites me such as baking. Such days are so important and so vital in ensuring you won’t burnout. Take time to make these days completely stress-free and give yourself the opportunity to do something totally spontaneous and fun; go out for ice-cream, shopping online or safely in-stores, video-gaming, eating out, driving around, gardening, painting or coloring, or any activity of your choice. Use this time to catch up with friends and family; plan exciting things to do together. (Be sure to limit the number of people you are with due to the pandemic!) Plan ahead and give yourself this treat!

Get New and Fun Stationery 

This is probably the most common and is very effective. Whenever I get new stationery I’m immediately motivated to put them to use and study. Whether that means getting multiple colored highlighters, markers, pens, sticky notes, pencil, designed notebooks, or even pencil pouches. With the digital age, Ipad and laptop note-taking are becoming more common. These can also be made fun by using aesthetic backgrounds/displays and organizing apps to look simplistic or with fun themes. Additionally, I highly recommend journals and planners along with stickers that can be used in them. These will not only keep your tasks and thoughts organized but will motivate you to stay on track and encouraged.

Come up with Fun and Tasty Snack Ideas

On days you have free time, try new recipes and snack ideas. I call these munchables: tasty and fun snacks that can be eaten while doing assignments or studying. For me personally, snacking keeps me energized and awake while studying. This could be helpful in staying nourished and will help you focus better. Look into easy options that will take minimal time but will still be filling. My favorites include baking cookies when I have free time, grilled cheese, mac n cheese, avocado toasts, guacamole, and all types of fruit (this might just be me, but fruits of different colors excites and encourages me to eat more healthy). Here are some helpful videos: https://youtu.be/F6ehyV7kqv8 & https://youtu.be/4CsntmL50fQ 

While online schooling is definitely challenging, these few steps will help you adjust a little better. Make sure to be open-minded and mindful when figuring out what works best for you. Try these out and tailor them to your liking. Use this time of having online school and being at home to teach yourself valuable lessons of time management, disciple, responsibility, and the importance of mental, physical, spiritual, and emotional balance. The future you will thank you! As always don’t be too hard on yourself and always give yourself credit through each accomplishment! 

Bhavya is the Head Director of Social Media for MSU's chapter of Her Campus. She is a junior majoring in Microbiology with a minor in Environment and Health/Bioethics. Her writing interests include: lifestyle, beauty, health, and wellness.
MSU Contributor Account: for chapter members to share their articles under the chapter name instead of their own.