Life > Experiences

How I Got My Internship at the City Clerk’s Office

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Getting an internship can be a challenging and competitive process, but with the right approach, it is possible to secure an exciting opportunity.

Step 1: Research the organization and the internship program

The first step in securing an internship is to research organizations and their internship programs. I visited the City Clerk’s website and read about their mission, services, and responsibilities. I also learned about the duties and responsibilities of an intern, the duration of the program, and the requirements for applying. This information helped me to understand if the internship was a good fit for my skills and career goals.

Step 2: Prepare a strong application

Once I was satisfied that the City Clerk’s Office was the right place for me, I started preparing my application. I made sure to highlight my skills, experience, and education in my resume and cover letter. I also included relevant courses and projects that demonstrated my knowledge and passion for the field.

Step 3: Follow up and be persistent

After I submitted my application, I followed up with the City Clerk’s Office to ensure that they received it and to inquire about the status of my application. I was persistent but respectful in my follow-up, and eventually, I was offered an interview.

Securing my internship took time and effort, but it was worth it. By researching the organization, preparing a strong application, networking, attending events, and following up, I was able to seize an opportunity that helped me gain valuable experience and knowledge in my field. I hope these steps will help you on your journey to securing your own internship!

Lauren Welch is a senior at Michigan State University studying Political Science pre-law with a minor in Law, Justice, and Public Policy. Lauren Welch is currently the secretary for the Michigan State University chapter and loves to write articles that relate to the college experience and tips on how to survive college in the most fun way. You can reach her through email at welchla3@msu.edu