This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

If you would have asked me in August before starting my first semester of college if I enjoyed reading, I would have laughed. Growing up, I always saw reading as a chore and never felt motivated to pick up a book or read the ones assigned to me in school. The books I had to read never peaked my interest, and I thought that was the way reading would always be. This all changed throughout my first semester of college when I was encouraged by my professor to read a book that I wanted to read. Through this experience, I discovered the many ways in which reading could be a real hobby that I loved. In this article, I will discuss some ways in which I found a true passion for reading. Hopefully, these tips are helpful for those who want to enjoy reading more. 

1. Find out what you like to read.

When my professor encouraged me to read a book I wanted to read for class, I chose ‘The Perks of Being a Wallflower’ by Stephen Chbosky. I had already seen the movie and felt connected to the story, so I thought this would be an easy read. Choosing a book about a movie you like is a great way to figure out what holds your interest in a book. For me, I enjoy  romance, coming of age, and other genres that I can relate to. Once I discovered what I enjoyed reading, I researched more books with similar genres and plots. Hearing other book lovers rave about their favorite books on TikTok and reading the summaries got me really excited about reading. Eventually, I came up with a list of forty-six books that I was interested in. 

2. Let go of expectations.

The winter break after I discovered I enjoyed reading, I read two books from my list in the span of two weeks. I had never read so much in such a short period of time, and I was really proud of myself. When I came back from break and started my second semester of classes, I was assigned to read a 458-page book in which I had no interest. The book had to be finished in two weeks, so I began reading. As I read, I found it extremely hard to focus and read for long amounts of time. I started to feel discouraged and wondered why I didn’t have the same stamina I did over winter break. I came to the realization that I don’t have to read for 100 pages straight with a perfect attention span every time I sit down to read. In fact, it’s okay to take breaks or go on your phone when you read. Throughout this process, I also learned that you’re not going to like every book you thought you were going to like. Although reading a whole book just to not like it in the end can be frustrating, it gives you a greater sense of what you truly enjoy reading. When you let go of expectations you’ve set for yourself, you start to create a space where reading begins to feel a lot more like a hobby than a chore. 

3. Make it fun.

Like any other hobby, there are several ways to make reading more exciting. Apps like Goodreads, Reading List, and TBR-Bookshelf can help you keep track of what you want to read, what you’re currently reading, and what you have read in the past. Additionally, you can track metrics like how long each book took to read and your rating or notes for them. They can help you connect with other readers and form communities within a literary setting. If you’re someone who enjoys reading physical copies of books, using colorful sticky notes and highlighters to keep track of your favorite moments or quotes may help you to better engage with the book.

4. The Benefits

In addition to gaining a new hobby, reading can offer up many other helpful benefits that are often overlooked. Personally, reading in my free time has helped me gain stamina and confidence for when I’m assigned to read books in school. While these aren’t the most interesting books, knowing that I’m capable of challenging myself puts me in the right mindset to read them. Likewise, reading a book I really enjoy can cause me to become submerged into the story. This is often a good distraction and stress reliever. Lastly, reading any genre of books can help you gain a good foundation of knowledge in a wide range of subjects while improving your vocabulary. 

By implementing these tools, I was able to change my mindset and discover a passion for something I once dreaded in just a few short months. While on some days, picking up a book still feels like the last thing I want to do, reading has become a hobby that I truly love and look forward to doing at the end of each day. I encourage others who are looking to gain a greater interest in reading to discover what they like to read and what works for them. There is inspiration and knowledge within every book, and it can truly become a hobby anyone can learn to love.

Brooklynn is a freshman this year at Michigan State University, studying Journalism. Brooklynn grew up in West Bloomfield Michigan and graduated from West Bloomfield High School. Her favorite subjects included English, multi media arts and French. Brooklynn enjoys baking, shopping, watching movies, doing makeup, being in nature and especially writing. She is super excited to be a part of Her Campus and hopes to get creative and inspire others.