How House of the Dragon Saved the Game of Thrones Franchise

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

I remember watching the trailer for Game of Thrones Season 8 and being so excited to see how the fantasy series would finally end. However, like so many fans of the series, I too was disappointed by the turns and decisions made by the writers. Season 8 left many fans screaming and in anguish. One of the best tv shows in the 21st century was destroyed by bad writing and poor time management and pacing. The season was so bad that 10+ million fans signed a petition demanding that HBO recreate the ending. But after 10 years, the creation and release of House of the Dragon has reborn my love for the Game of Thrones franchise.

One of the best parts of George R.R. Martin’s writing is that he creates characters that are authentically human. This means that the characters are neither good nor bad; they have flaws, some parts that make them likable or unlikable and don’t fit the mold of the usual protagonist or antagonist in fantasy stories. The stories are based on actual events that happened in some of the most gruesome parts of history. The characters align with the actions made by people in the past, but are told in a different narrative with a new setting. The typical characters that people fall in love with are shown in a new light, and the characters that are never considered likable are some of the best characters in the series. As said by George R.R Martin, “When I look at the world, I see that most real living breathing humans are gray.”

There is no doubt that House of the Dragon has many gray characters. Daemon Targaryen is a perfect example. Daemon is a hero to some, a villain to others. He isn’t always presented in a light that would define him as good or bad. Just like humans, he does things that make us hate him and then once in a while he does things that make us see the good nature within him. He’s the perfect example of a bad boy or an anti-hero. People love him because his actions showcase how real of a person he truly is and how we can relate to his actions or decisions.

House of the Dragon also contrasts from Game of Thrones in how it embodies the female perspective. A lot of the scenes in the show are from the perspective of the female characters; it adds a new light to the scenes and enhances the show because not a lot of scenes are based on the female point-of-view. Personally, as a woman, I appreciate the change in how the show is shifting the perspective because it feels like more women are getting represented in the series. It’s one of the greatest changes that has been made to TV shows and has created a new way into filming certain scenes based on the female view.

The creators of the show, Ryan Condal and George R.R. Martin, ensure that House of the Dragon won’t take the same turn as Game of Thrones and the fans won’t be again disappointed by a rushed ending or bad writing. Unlike GoT writers David Benioff and D.B. Weiss, Condal has read the books and is a fan of George R.R. Martin. Condal understands the World of Ice and Fire and respects Martin for his years of work. In addition, Martin is going to play a big role in the development of the series and has more of a voice than he did on Game of Thrones. If Martin says that the series is going to take 4 seasons and 10 episodes to finish the House of the Dragons, then the co-creator, producers, writers and directors are going to honor Martin’s words. The end note is that House of Dragon will have great writing and actually follow through with storylines and won’t leave unanswered questions.

I also appreciate that House of the Dragon brings a new generation of fans to the series. It’s a prequel and happens 200 years before the start of Game of Thrones, which means that you don’t necessarily have to watch Game of Thrones to get the full picture of what House of the Dragon is about. It leads the viewer to create a new world within the franchise, but still is able to link back to the world of Game of Thrones. As someone who has watched GoT, it is cool to see the links that are being made between the two shows. The linkages allow for the story to not be completely different from GoT, but still stand on its own with a new set of characters and storylines.

Overall, I highly recommend watching House of the Dragon, especially if you were disappointed by the outcome of Game of Thrones. It’s a great series that has brought back the glory of the franchise and has created a new love for fantasy. 

Nicolette is studying Physiology with a minor in Health Promotion at Michigan State University. Planning to go to dental school, with her dream job to provide dental care to professional athletics and travel the world to provide assistance to those who don't have proper dental care. In addition, Nicolette is also a member of MSU Pre-Dental Club, MSU Chaarg, and MSU Relay. Nicolette's favorite pastime(s) is going to sporting events with her friends, photography and working out at her part-time job: IM West.