This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Recently, I have been feeling helpless — as I am sure many others are as well. The numbers continue to rise, and the news seems to get darker and sadder as each day goes by. It is difficult to remain positive while you watch everything unfold through your TV screen. I know many are anxious and want to do their part in solving this worldwide epidemic, but all we are told to do is stay home. As almost a month of self-quarantining has passed by, I began to ask what more can I do to help. I did my research and felt that this could help a lot of other people who may be feeling helpless and anxious like me. So, based on The Washington Post and CNN, here are a few things you can do to help the general public during this pandemic.

Support small businesses

There are many small businesses that are at risk now due to these unfortunate circumstances. So, occasionally try to order carryout or delivery at a local restaurant.    

Avoid overstocking on supplies

Think twice before stocking up on extra toilet paper, milk or eggs when you know you have plenty at home. There are many families that are struggling to get their groceries as supplies continue to sell out every day. These items will be restocked, so there is no need to buy ridiculous amounts of materials unless you know that you will not be able to leave the house for a long period of time.

Check up on your elderly neighbors, or friends and family that are immunosuppressed

These individuals are at the highest risk at this time, and it can be difficult and dangerous for them to go out and get what they need. Check up on them, and try to run errands for them if it seems convenient and safe. 

Donate money to fundraisers and food to food banks

There is an enormous number of  funds going around started by all different companies aiming to raise money for research, medical supplies or food. These groups do amazing work and they need all the help they can get.

Remember those on the frontlines

The large population of health care and front line workers need to be appreciated and applauded for their generous work every day during these scary times. Small acts of kindness can go a long way. There are many ways you can thank your local healthcare workers, whether it is donating masks and personal protective equipment or calling and asking if it’s okay to deliver food to the workers. 

Stay home 

I am sure many of you have heard this hundreds of times, but it is the most important step. Staying home is the easiest and best way to prevent the spread of this disease. I know we may have the urge to go meet a friend or interact with others, but this disease is invisible and dangerous. A simple way to do your part to prevent catching or spreading the coronavirus is to practice social distancing.

I am a freshman at Michigan State University studying Neuroscience and minoring in Chinese.
MSU Contributor Account: for chapter members to share their articles under the chapter name instead of their own.