This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

After graduating, I’ve found myself doing a lot more self-exploration than usual. I’ve changed a lot throughout high school, becoming more confident and slowly learning to love myself, and I want that change to be reflected on the outside as well. As I’ve been delving more into fashion and finding my niche, I’ve come across the idea of developing an aesthetic for myself.

When you think “aesthetic”, you probably think of the VSCO girl or e-boy/e-girl trends that have been popularized by TikTok. While those are just a few examples of aesthetics, you don’t have to limit yourself. An aesthetic doesn’t have to have a label; it’s all about finding your own personal style and what makes you feel the best. Here are some tips on how to find yours:

Look at the clothes you already have in your wardrobe.

If you have absolutely no idea where to start, look at the clothes you already have. Notice what you tend to gravitate towards while also taking note of what you don’t normally reach for. Is there a certain theme that seems to be common in what you wear or choose not to wear? Is there a certain style that makes you feel more confident and ready to take on the world? One way for you to figure this out is to keep track of all of the clothes you wear for a couple of weeks or a month. By noting what you actually wear and what you don’t, you’ll have a better idea of what makes you feel more confident and comfortable. 

Get inspiration.

You can get inspiration from practically anywhere. Movies, TV shows, Pinterest, and even people you know are all great places to start. In addition, Instagram can be an amazing way to start to develop your own style and get a feel for what you like. Look at the accounts you follow, such as celebrities and influencers, for inspiration. The explore page is also a great place to look as it can introduce you to similar accounts and posts based on who you already follow and what you like.

One thing I want to point out is that there is a fine line between admiring someone’s style and wanting to look like them. Don’t let yourself get sucked into the beauty standards that are often portrayed in the media and online and get down on yourself for not having the same facial features or body type as someone. You are beautiful just the way you are, and finding your aesthetic is meant to help you embrace yourself, not leave you wishing you were someone else.

Go look around!

Go to the mall or go thrifting and just try stuff on! Get a feel for what draws you towards it and what makes you feel your best. Don’t be afraid to go to stores that you don’t normally find yourself in. After all, how will you know what you like until you try it?

Don’t feel limited by your budget.

One of the biggest misconceptions about finding your style is that it takes money or is expensive. You don’t need to go out and buy a bunch of new clothing to revamp your look! It is still completely possible to look and feel your best on a budget. Accessories can make the biggest difference when it comes to an outfit; they can make or break a look, or even completely change the vibe. One great way to get a feel for your aesthetic is to experiment with what you already have; even just pairing a piece of clothing with something different or wearing it in a different way can have a huge impact on your look.

Don’t forget about your makeup and hair.

Your clothes and accessories are just one part of your style. The rest lies in your makeup and hair. Are there any particular makeup looks or hairstyles that you find yourself doing more than others? What makes you feel the most confident? Is it that bold red lip? Your natural curls? Glowing skin? Highlights?

When figuring out your personal style, looking at both of these things can provide a major insight into what type of vibe you’re going for. Just changing up your makeup or hair can completely change a look.

It can help to research different aesthetics, but don’t feel limited.

The amazing thing about an aesthetic is that you can personalize it however you want. There are a ton of different aesthetic options out there; a quick look at Pinterest can tell you just as much. But don’t feel limited to just one option.

While looking for inspiration, I found myself torn between two seemingly different aesthetics. On the one hand, I found myself gravitating towards the academia/preppy aesthetic, which focuses on minimalism and looking classy. But I’m also the type of girl who absolutely loves urban fashion and looking like a baddie. It didn’t occur to me that I didn’t have to choose one or the other for a while, but when I realized I could mix elements of both into my style, I was beyond excited. I could go out one day in a sweater and a cute plaid skirt and swap it out for a tube top and hoops the next. I’ve even figured out how to mix elements of both looks into a single outfit, which absolutely blows my mind. It just makes me that much more excited to put an outfit together.

That being said, even if your personal aesthetic or some pieces of your wardrobe don’t fit into a category or combination of categories, they’re still just as valid! Don’t shy away from fashion choices just because they don’t fit a certain label; what’s important is that you are happy with what you are wearing and you feel that it expresses who you are the best.

Keeping all these tips in mind, it’s important to remember who you’re doing this for. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: finding your personal style is a process meant to help you love yourself and find your confidence. Don’t pick what you wear based on what your friends will think, or what your partner will think. You’re doing this for you, not them. Even if your style isn’t “mainstream”, all that matters is that you are happy, confident, and comfortable in what you’re wearing. Don’t be afraid to take risks. You only live once, so why not wear what makes you happy?

Hello! My name's Kirthi, and I'm studying Human Biology with minors in STEPP and French. In my free time, you can usually find me watching The Resident, listening to music, or out with friends.
MSU Contributor Account: for chapter members to share their articles under the chapter name instead of their own.