Working outside?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Working outside?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Unsplash
Career

How to Find a Summer Job

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

With only a few months left before summer officially kicks off (and the quarantine is hopefully over), a lot of people are starting to think about what they want to do this summer. If you find yourself needing a job, here are some tips:

1. Figure out what kind of work you want to be doing

If you like to be outside, look for a job as a camp counselor or lifeguard. If you like social interaction, you might want to look at positions in retail or food service. If you want professional development, look at internships in your intended field. There are a lot of jobs out there for students, so consider all of your options and go from there.

2. Get your resume in order

Make sure that you have a current, updated resume. Keep the layout simple so that the information is easy to find and not too crowded. The whole resume should be a page, so only include the most important and most recent items. You should also prepare a cover letter for any job you are applying for, even if they do not ask for it, as that shows that you are willing to go above-and-beyond for this job.

3. Network!

This can be hard to do while under quarantine, but don’t be afraid to email employers to see if they will be hiring in the next few months. Even if they aren’t looking for people, being assertive in reaching out will keep you on their radar for the future, and they may be able to recommend other opportunities.

4. Make sure to nail your Zoom interviews

If you have to interview over Zoom, make sure to be prepared and remain professional. Find a quiet space with a neutral background, and tell everyone in your house to leave you alone for an hour. Dress like you would for an in-person interview (if you would be wearing a suit, wear a suit for the Zoom call). Make sure to speak slowly and clearly, and write a thank you note or email as soon as you hang up.

5. It’s okay to acknowledge the current situation

The world is crazy right now, and you shouldn’t pretend that it’s not. In every email or during every Zoom call, check in with the person you’re talking to and ask how they are doing. You might not get responses as quickly as you normally would, so be patient. A lot of businesses are not open right now, so come up with alternative options if the place you really want to work is not able to hire employees at this time. Most importantly, stay safe and healthy during this time so that you will be in your best mental and physical state while job hunting.

Ellie Baden is a second year student at Michigan State University studying public affairs through the James Madison College, as well as Art History and Classical and Ancient Mediterranean Studies. In addition to writing for Her Campus, Ellie is a member of the Spartan Moot Court Team, the Student Allocations Board, and the Kappa Omega Alpha Pre-Professional Fraternity. She works in the JMC Career Services office and is a research assistant. In her free time, Ellie loves photography, reading, and hanging out with friends.
MSU Contributor Account: for chapter members to share their articles under the chapter name instead of their own.