How each astrological element orders their matcha 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Each of the western zodiac signs are systemized by one of the four elements: fire, earth, air, and water. This grouping aligns with the characteristics of the signs and defines their attributes, including how they would order their matcha.  

Fire (Aries, Leo, Sagittarius): Iced matcha with chia 

Fire signs are known for their creativity and spontaneity. They are always ready to try something new and bold. They would not be able to decide on a matcha or chia, so they would go with the best of both worlds. For those ruled by the Sun, they definitely take their matcha iced to help them cool down. 

Earth (Taurus, Virgo, Capricorn): Hot or iced vanilla matcha 

As an Earth sign myself, I can say that this is my go-to matcha order. You can always count on an Earth sign and you can always count on a vanilla matcha. It is the perfect amount of sweetness, but not too overpowering. The vanilla supports the matcha like an Earth sign does best. Just like an Earth sign, the vanilla is comforting and most find it easy to connect to. They always like to switch up their drink temperatures. Some days they love the comfort of a hot matcha, or they might need it iced when they are keeping everyone cool throughout the day. 

Air (Gemini, Libra, Aquarius): Iced salted caramel matcha 

Air signs are curious and they would not play it safe by adding regular caramel; They would go for the salt, giving the best “two-faced” balance of salty and sweet. They always carry themselves with a sense of trust that life will work it out, so they will trust that the salted caramel will work in their matcha. Air signs would take their matcha iced, even in the dead of winter. Known for their sociability, the air from their many conversations is what keeps them warm.

Water (Cancer, Scorpio, Pisces): Iced strawberry matcha

Water signs are the most emotional of the signs. They have a deep understanding of complicated thoughts and feelings, so they can truly appreciate this complex combo. Any other sign would not think that these two flavors would work together. However, to a Water sign, they are a perfect match. Their receptiveness helps them recognize the drink’s earthy and sweet layers. When stirred together, the beautiful mix of colors matches their natural sense of fluidity. Their emotions are known to drive them forward, and so will the caffeine levels of this strawberry matcha. They would, of course, take it iced, even if it waters down the drink a little. 

Matcha has been taking the world by storm as a replacement for your daily cup of joe. This Japanese high grade green tea is available at almost every coffee shop and offered in many different combinations: each one to suit each astrological element’s personality.

Audrey is a senior at Michigan State University She is the Events Director, Book Club Manager, and Editor for her chapter. At MSU she is majoring in Economics and minoring in Quotative Data Analytics and Italian.