How to Dress for Michigan’s Crazy Weather

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

As an MSU student—especially if you’re a native to the mitten state—you know how the weather fluctuates between arctic-like conditions and scorching hot days. Now that it’s officially fall, we can expect even more wacky weather. Rain, heat, clouds, sun—you never know what you’re going to get each day (the iPhone weather app isn’t right all the time!)

Instead of buying your whole fall wardrobe right now, there are ways to adapt your current summer items to be appropriate for the fall weather. HC has some tips to help turn your favorite summer staples into fall fashion! 

Maxi Skirts & Dresses

Maxi skirts and dresses were a crowd favorite this past spring and summer due to their super comfortable, lightweight materials. Work them into your fall wardrobe with a cozy sweater or denim jacket to head to class. Dress it up with a blazer, if heading to a presentation or internship. 

Mini Skirts & Dresses

Fun, flirty, and colorful mini dresses and skirts can help brighten up your fall wardrobe. Pair skirts and dresses with tights and a cozy sweater, or a military style jacket with a cute pair of booties. 

High-Waisted Shorts

High-waisted shorts were the “it” item of the summer, and they don’t have to go quite yet. Dress up your favorite denim cutoffs with a boyfriend blazer, or keep it casual with a loose-knit sweater. If you’re feeling bold, rock them with a sheer pair of tights and booties for an edgier look.

White Jeans

Who says you can’t wear white after Labor Day? Rock your white jeans with a military jacket or vest paired with riding boots or flats.

Sophomore at MSU studying journalism with a specialization in design; Art Director at VIM Magazine, MSU's student-run fashion magazine
 Marissa Russo is a senior at Michigan State University studying  journalism with a concentration in apparel and textile design. Her love for writing coincides with her love for design, and after graduation she hopes to work at a publication that allows her to do both. Marissa is a co-campus correspondent for Her Campus MSU. Follow her on Instagram: marissrusso and Twitter: @marissrusso