Wellness

How Do Routines Set You Up for Success?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

As college students, we all vary in the ways we approach our days. We all have different classes, jobs, commitments, and demands throughout the week. It can, oftentimes, feel unorganized and overwhelming.  How important are consistent routines? Do they really help make our days more efficient? And is there a benefit from waking up early? These were all questions I asked myself before talking to various students when I realized how much routines seem to impact our lives and potentially performance. 

A common trend of successful people, both in everyday scenarios as well as celebrities, is the presence of routine. In an article by Forbes, an analysis discovered multiple routine habits of highly successful people. Two that stood out in particular were eliminating small decision making tasks and getting moving when you start your day. Multiple celebrities have sworn by these habits and how they jump start each day for success.

Figuring out a routine was not an easy and immediate task. I had to experiment and find out what worked for myself. While I became a morning person, its not for everybody. The purpose of a routine is to make your day feel more organized and efficient so you can focus on the more important tasks at hand rather than stressing over the small day-to-day things. Research gathered by North  Western Medicine shows that routines reduce stress, increase your sleep, and reduce ineffective uses of time. If incorporated, routines around fitness and eating have shown to increase physical health overtime as well. While North Western Medicine argues the importance of a routine, they and NCBI stand by the fact that data on types of routines vary. There is no right or wrong way to organize your day, but the organization itself is increasingly beneficial. 

Routines come down to saving time and starting off your day on a positive note. Before I got into a routine, I had no sleep schedule and always felt tired. My day felt all over the place and I felt like I was scrambling to figure out how to organize each task. Some days I’d wake up early, make it to the gym, and do my skincare routine. Other days I’d have to work to convince myself to get out of bed before 10 am. Now I wake up at 6:30 am for five days a week and 7:30 am for the other two days. I always make my bed and my outfit  and skincare products are already laid out. Before I leave for the gym, my room is clean and my breakfast is in the fridge. Post workout, I eat, shower, and start my classes full of energy. When it comes down to it, routines are about making each day easier and more energizing so that anyone can make the most out of their day. 

My name is Celeste Tinsley and I’m a freshman at Michigan State University. I’m majoring in Global and International Studies with a double minor in economics and data analytics. I am an avid reader, baker and equestrian.