Beyonce at the 2021 Grammy Awards
Beyonce at the 2021 Grammy Awards
Photo by Cliff Lipson / CBS
Style > Beauty

How Beyoncé’s New Hair Care Line Empowers Women of Color

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Many celebrities jump on the bandwagon with product launches, a move that often comes off as cliché. However, Beyoncé’s latest hair care line, titled Cécred, shouts something different. Dedicated to individuals of color and their diverse hair types, this recent launch emphasizes Beyoncé’s savage individuality and bold fashion choices, yet again striking down expectations in the industry.

This isn’t just another celebrity-endorsed product smacked with a famous name; it’s a uniquely crafted line aiming to bring diversity into hair care formulas. They utilize just three ingredients – bioactive keratin, honey, and Lactobacillus ferment – and the power lies in replacing depleted proteins. Each product is formulated to enhance the beauty of texturized hair without harmful chemicals. You can choose from shampoos, conditioners, treatments, or stylers that cater to promoting moisturized and healthy hair. 

Obviously, it wouldn’t be a touch of Beyoncé without sleek packaging. Bottles decorated with stone-white coloring feature a minimalist design with bowl shaped tops, reflecting elegance, yet the most powerful aspect of Beyoncé’s new launch is the message it sends to her audience. Cécred reminds us that beauty standards don’t have to be dictated by what’s ideal, therefore eliminating the one-size-fits-all definition. 

As a college student at MSU working at a hair salon, I see students with all different hair types come in with all kinds of concerns. Some struggle with frizz, others with dryness, and many with finding products that truly work for their unique textures. The anger is visible when they move through stocked shelves with products that don’t cater to their needs. 

In essence, Cécred is more than just a hair care line; it’s a movement. The creation of this line is one I find exceptionally memorable within the realm of beauty, as it empowers women of color and shapes societal norms, extending way beyond hair care. All individuals deserve products that are made for them, and many can find that with this highly infused line. 

Ashlyn Gordy, a Junior at Michigan State University, is pursuing a degree in Journalism with a concentration in writing, reporting, and editing, along with a minor in Public Relations. Outside of academics, Gordy is a member of VIM Magazine at MSU, where she has published several articles. Additionally, her work has been featured in Spartan Newsroom. During her downtime, Gordy enjoys getting coffee with friends, delving into a good book, taking pilates classes, and thrifting.