This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

I open up Spotify wanting to find the perfect song, but more often than not I seem to end up listening to the same five every week. Interestingly, a recent Spotify update in late February introduced a personalized artificial intelligence DJ to give you music, both new and old, based on what you already like. This feature lets you have your own session of personalized music curation without having to scroll endlessly through your pre-existing playlists or liked songs in your library. 

I was so excited when I first heard about this, but I immediately ran into some technical difficulties and had to look up why this was happening. Perhaps unsurprisingly, I found there were some stipulations to this seemingly perfect feature. This feature is only available for premium users with the most current update of the app. Okay, no problem. But after sitting there messing around with my app for over thirty minutes, I still could not get it to work. I asked my roommate to try it on her phone. Of course, it worked the first time for her. After using it on another device, I am even more excited to experience my very own AI DJ on my phone. There were songs played that I knew, songs by artists I loved that I had not heard, and completely new songs and new artists. 

While still in beta during its earliest stages, the AI DJ has the potential to revolutionize the way we find new music and what we listen to throughout our day.

Audrey Williams is a junior at Michigan State University studying Criminal Justice with a minor in Law, Justice and Public Policy. In her free time, she enjoys practicing archery with the MSU archery team. Audrey Williams enjoys writing about pop culture, music, and tv shows.