How To Actually Stick To Your New Year’s Resolutions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

With the start of the new year, many people have set goals and resolutions for themselves. However, as expected, these resolutions don’t last very long. Here are three ways to actually stick to your new year’s resolutions.

Set Deadlines For Yourself 

You’ll be more likely to achieve your goals if they’re smaller and easier to achieve. Setting yourself deadlines will help you focus and narrow down your actions to reach said goals. By making small checkpoints for yourself, you’ll be able to easily track your progress. Decide what you want to accomplish by certain dates, and this will allow you to plan out the steps necessary to reach your ultimate goal. For example, (the stereotypical resolution) if you want to lose weight, then set yourself certain weight checkpoints throughout the year.

Have A Buddy System 

Another way to stay dedicated to your goal is to have a friend to hold you accountable for your actions. In this way, both you and your buddy are aware of what you need to do to meet your resolution. Having a resolution buddy allows you to keep each other in check on your progress. You’d be more likely to distract yourself from your goal if you didn’t have someone else constantly reminding you. I believe that it is harder to say no to someone else than yourself.

Record Your Progress 

Keeping a journal to record your progress over time will allow you to easily track your path. Now, when I say record, I mean EVERYTHING and ANYTHING that happens as you progress. All the good and bad things that you come across should be recorded. It’ll allow you to catch habits and factors that are keeping you from reaching your goal. Keeping a journal allows you to physically see your progress.

At the end of the day, you are the only person in control of what you do. New Year’s resolutions should keep you motivated and excited. If they make you stressed, then consider a different approach or a new resolution. The best thing about New Year’s resolutions is that there are no fixed rules!

I am a freshman at Michigan State University studying Neuroscience and minoring in Chinese.
Ananya is the President of Her Campus at Michigan State. She is majoring in Human Biology and minoring in Health Promotion, and post-graduation, she will be attending medical school! If she's not studying, you can find her watching TikToks or Grey's Anatomy!