This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Now that Thanksgiving is done and we have eaten our weight in food, it’s time to start preparing for more upcoming holidays. And with that, we mean holiday parties. Yes, we all have the annual parties where we repeatedly answer the same questions: [Insert questions about major, job, graduation, football team, ex-boyfriends, dorm life, cafeteria food, etc.] So before you even step foot into the party, an important decision must be made… What should you wear?!

Picking out an outfit for a holiday party can be challenging. Your parents want you to look one way, you want to look the other, and most importantly, you need to feel comfortable in whatever you chose, because it could be a long night. So before you put on your favorite 6-inch heels and heavy, red sweater grandma bought you four years ago, take a second to read our tips on how to dress for holiday parties.

Stay Simple

The most important factor when picking out your christmas party outfit is to stay simple. Don’t wear your ball gown, mini skirt, or stilettos, because you’re going to regret it eventually. Stick with a simple outfit. Wear a pair of black skinny jeans and a simple long sleeve shirt. Throw on a chunky knit scarf, a pair of flats and you’re good to go. The more simple the better.

Stay Comfortable

Remember the year you went to great aunt Betty’s Christmas party and you thought it would be a good idea to wear your kind-of snug red knit-top and that short, black pencil skirt? Then, merely an hour into the party, every piece of furniture was filled with elderly relatives and you were forced to either sit on the floor and flash all your family member, or stand all night. Yeah we’ve all been there.

Stay Warm

Some years, you freeze at the Christmas parties, some years you find yourself making excuses to step outside into the cool air to take a breather, but choosing the right outfit can keep you at just the right temperature. A great tip is to wear layers. You can’t take off the heavy sweater if there isn’t anything under it, but you can if you put the new red top on first and then the heavy sweater. Always come prepared for temperature because you can get uncomfortable fast leading to a long and not so pleasant night.

Stay Confident

When it comes to Christmas parties, staying comfortable and happy in what you choose to wear is one of the best ways to have a good experience. Don’t make it a bad memory simply because you wore the wrong outfit. The holidays are meant to be joyous.

Marissa Russo is a senior at Michigan State University studying  journalism with a concentration in apparel and textile design. Her love for writing coincides with her love for design, and after graduation she hopes to work at a publication that allows her to do both. Marissa is a co-campus correspondent for Her Campus MSU. Follow her on Instagram: marissrusso and Twitter: @marissrusso