Culture > News

The Holiday Spirit Came Differently This Year: A Judicial Ruling

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

On December 4th, news outlets revealed that the DACA program was restored in a ruling of a federal judge in New York. The DACA stands for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, and it is mostly favorable to undocumented immigrants that came to the US as children. Young immigrants that were affected by this ruling cheered with this new development— however, this generation of “dreamers” are not fully exempt of ‘illegalities’ according to the department of homeland security. 

This alleged illegal act comes from the fact that the Trump administration shut down the DACA proposal in September 2017; therefore, undocumented immigrants were not granted work permits, which indirectly contributed to many families being broken apart due to the increasing percentage of deportation. 

With this recent judicial ruling in the state of New York by Judge Nicholas Garaufis, the undocumented immigrants and all the attorneys fighting for the DACA’s reinstatement were overjoyed by the sensation that their cause was somehow beginning to come to justice, and that their clients could finally have the opportunity to make their ‘dreams’ come true— hence, why these particular group of immigrants are called dreamers. 

With this small but powerful victory, immigration attorneys all over the country are hopeful that the DACA will not only be granted through the state of New York, but also in states such as Texas, California, and Illinois, which are still controversial in this regard mostly because the US congress still acts upon republican efforts against the DACA. 

Even with controversies still present in relation to the DACA’s full reinstatement, one can feel hopeful that Judge Garaufis’s ruling has helped set the tone for the upcoming presidential administration. Since it is the holiday season, this judicial decision couldn’t have come in a better time, due to the fact that all of these religious or spiritual celebrations are set forth by the notions of family, unity and hope. 

In conclusion, the DACA’s reinstatement in the state of New York can be interpreted as a judicial measure that incorporates both regencies: political agendas for the new presidential administration, and essential holiday principles. Since the DACA indicates that immigrants might have a chance to remain in the US by obtaining work permits, this might grant them one aspect of their dream. Another aspect of their dream aligning with holiday principles is the concept of unity; due to the fact that most families will be reunited and live not only together, but united in light of the holiday spirits that were lifted and restored as a consequence of the DACA’s reinstatement. 

I'm from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. I am a senior at Michigan State University, Political Science-Prelaw major; and I intend to go to law school after graduating from MSU.
MSU Contributor Account: for chapter members to share their articles under the chapter name instead of their own.