girl lounging relax 1
girl lounging relax 1
Kristen Bryant / Her Campus

Holding on to the Past Isn’t Always a Bad Thing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

During this current circumstance, when I am stuck at home, I have no choice but to clean up my room. Surprisingly, I found many items that I had stuck on to over the past few years. I wouldn’t necessarily call myself a hoarder, but rather a collector. I like saving little clips and items from events that are memorable. Looking back at the memories I’ve made over the past few years fills my heart with a sense of gratefulness and satisfaction.

On the top shelf of my closet, there is a dusty brown box that used to carry my favorite winter boots when I was 12. Now, it carries all the birthday cards I have received since I turned 9 years old. I like to go back and read these letters written by my middle school friends, family and siblings. These letters are often filled with small inside jokes that I would have forgotten about. Through these letters, I also get to see the things I was interested in at a certain age.

Something else I like to hold on to are small clippets such as tickets, wristbands and more. I know that many other people enjoy collecting these items because they are physical objects that you can store and preserve. They can also serve as decorative items. I also like to collect items and mementos from my travels such as boarding passes, maps and business cards. I like to put these items in a journal so I can combine my memories through written language as well as physical objects.

I think there is a negative connotation associated with the phrase “holding on to the past.” In my opinion,  I don’t see anything wrong with it. Holding on to certain items that evoke an emotion or memory in you can be very important. I feel that being a collector and looking back at items improves memory. I can recall certain details such as what I was wearing that day or what I ate. 

Especially during these historic times, I think it is important for us to record our thoughts,  feelings and any momentos you may have. In this way, when you look back at the year 2020, you will be reminded of the good, the bad and what you did to help the situation. Sometimes we try to only document the good things that occur in our lives but I believe it is equally important to record moments of hardship. Therefore, you can remember how you dealt with this problem and use that skill or technique moving forward.

I am a freshman at Michigan State University studying Neuroscience and minoring in Chinese.
MSU Contributor Account: for chapter members to share their articles under the chapter name instead of their own.