This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

The epitome of a holiday night well spent is a cozy night in┄fresh snow falling from the sky, a warm cup of hot chocolate in hand, and a holiday movie playing on TV; maybe the occasional fireplace or mistletoe makes an appearance. However, when it comes to finding the perfect movie, the decision-making process can be difficult. So, to make it easier, I compiled a list of holiday movies to help you out. This list comprises old to new movies that are sure to spark some holiday spirit into your evenings.

. It’s a Wonderful Life (1946)

It’s a Wonderful Life is a tear-jerking movie to say the least. It hits all the emotions from funny to sad to joyful. Not to mention, the main character George Bailey played by James Stewart is enjoyable to stare at. The movie is in black and white but refuses to stray away from the warmth and connection it radiates from the screen to your heart.

The Santa Clause (1994)

This series is always on repeat in my household. Tim Allen, who plays Scott Calvin, does an amazing job, literally embodying the spirit of Saint Nicholas. The Santa Clause shows a different perspective of how Santa Claus came to be, whilst in a whimsical manner. The Santa Clause is made up of three movies:each of which has a new problem that arises for Scott and his family. Additionally, keep an eye out for Comet: the goofiest reindeer of all, who is also my favorite character within the series.

Dr. Seuss’ How The Grinch Stole Christmas (2000)

You can’t tell me that you didn’t want to live in Whoville during Christmas. If Christmas was a city, it would be Whoville. Jim Carrey, who plays the Grinch, puts the kibosh on holiday spirit but ends up realizing Christmas isn’t all that bad. This movie is sure to make you feel warm and make your heart grow three sizes! 

A Christmas Story (1983)

A Christmas Story is a classic that never gets old. This movie is so iconic that it gets played for 24 hours straight starting Christmas Eve on TBS. From dinner in a Chinese restaurant on Christmas Eve to the leg lamp in the front window, (I love that scene so much that I ordered a Christmas ornament of it) this movie made every kid realize to never put their tongue on a frozen flagpole. This classic is sure to give you a giggle and reignite your craving for mashed potatoes. 

Home Alone (1990)

If you are ever home alone and get scared that someone could break in, watch this movie and you are guaranteed to catch the robber red-handed. This movie (and series) adds a bit of thrill into the holiday season. But whatever you do, apply aftershave with caution. A little goes a long way. 

The holiday season is by far my favorite time of the year. There’s something about having a warm cozy feeling that just makes you get lost in the moment. No matter how you celebrate, this is a time to spend with family (safely) and reflect on the crazy year that we just accomplished. So, hopefully these movies are able to spark some warmth, joy and jubilance.Now, it’s time to cue up It’s the Most Wonderful Time of the Year, by Andy Williams and skip around while singing loudly!

Gabriella is a sophomore at Michigan State University majoring in journalism. After she finishes her undergraduate degree, she hopes to take a year to travel and experience cultures before getting back into school for her master's degree. She hopes of one day becoming a food critic or a travel writer. She loves learning different recipes as well as staying on top of fashion's latest topics and pop culture moments.
MSU Contributor Account: for chapter members to share their articles under the chapter name instead of their own.